static electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a code violation or just a bad idea to install bonding jumpers from the frame of a machine, that is giving the workers static shocks, to the building steel, using that as the drain for the charge? I think we have a design problem, but the boss wants a quick fix. I have been told that this is a common problem in other mail processing centers that have this same type of equipment. The electrical feed to the equipment is 480@250amp/ 4wire, and the installer ran all types of grounding bonds, with a main #2 bare copper the entire length of the equipment, and this is tied to the frame and the ground bar where, I tied in the electrical grounding conductor.
bill

ron

Many stray and static voltage problems are "fixed" by bonding. This is not a code violation, although an attempt at investigation and repair would be the first suggestion.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
My guess is that another bonding jumper isn't going to help. Sounds like the equipment is already bonded and grounded. I would guess it is probably non-conducting parts that are giving the shocks; things like belts and rollers.

Increasing the humidity might be one suggestion, depending on how dry it currently is. In general, this sounds like a tough problem to get rid of.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.