State requirements versus National requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSLay

Being in this industry for over 30 years, it still frustrates me why all states won't reciprocate. It is the NATIONAL Electrical Code, not the state electrical code.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is right that each state gets their money for each license it issues, but to test and then retest over and over again to gain a license in different states is beyond me. Some states require a minimum 3 years of holding a license prior to reciprocation, while others don't or wont allow reciprocation.

I am sure this topic has been discussed before and my apologies if it has been beat to death or is not in the correct place on the forum.

Buck Parrish

Most all states have some sort of Marina. But not as many as Florida or NC. Some states have no snow blowing or ice melting equipment.
But I agree, their seems to be a lot of government waste.
Why do you need a city a mile away from another city. Then you have high paying pensions of two police chiefs, mayors, fire chiefs, inspectors, etc...

Buck Parrish

[QUOTE=luckylerado;1692021]I would be happy if my state required anything at all. Try testing for every little town and competing in an area where any painter or landscaper can do electrical work.[/QUOTE]

Yes , one of our little towns in Indiana. To get a electrical license, you just pay $25.00. Then you're a licensed electrician

Fitzdrew516

[QUOTE=luckylerado;1692021]I would be happy if my state required anything at all. Try testing for every little town and competing in an area where any painter or landscaper can do electrical work.

Yes , one of our little towns in Indiana. To get a electrical license, you just pay $25.00. Then you're a licensed electrician[/QUOTE]

That is hilarious and also terrifying. Can you send me the city? I need to add something to my resume:lol::thumbsup:

480sparky

Many will be surprised to learn the same is true for drivers licenses. Most states have reciprocity, but I know my license is not accepted in at least 4 states.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There are still a number of folks in TN that hold an "electricians license (LLE)" from being grandfathered in when they held a license that required only the payment of a small fee.
For any jurisdiction that actually wanted some assurance that their licensed electricians had some type of qualifications testing is necessary.

kwired

Electron manager
National Electric Code is just a title of a publication by a non government organization -NFPA.

That organization does allow jurisdictions to accept their publication to be adopted into law though, and they can choose which edition as well as any modifications they wish to make to it. There is no national "AHJ" so to speak that covers this. But most areas adopt some edition of NEC and leave the majority of the content as is.

Even Federal laws are still modified on State levels at times. However those states that choose to modify a federal law may miss out on some federal funding as it relates to the situation.

mgookin

Being in this industry for over 30 years, it still frustrates me why all states won't reciprocate. It is the NATIONAL Electrical Code, not the state electrical code.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is right that each state gets their money for each license it issues, but to test and then retest over and over again to gain a license in different states is beyond me. Some states require a minimum 3 years of holding a license prior to reciprocation, while others don't or wont allow reciprocation.

I am sure this topic has been discussed before and my apologies if it has been beat to death or is not in the correct place on the forum.

If it's any consolation, in Florida it used to be up to every jurisdiction to adopt, or not adopt, any code or edition (or amendments) thereof.

Circa 2001 we came out with a unified state building code which uses one code (and edition and amendments) statewide; it brought into harmony differences in conflicting codes (life safety requirements vs other code requirements) and codified into the code all state laws regulating construction (threshold building act, pool & spa barrier protection act, etc...).

So to the thesis of your inquiry, there are some smarter heads working on the issue and one day we just may see national standards.

One thing though which will always be local is the zoning/ development order process. Between historic districts, planning boards, design review committees, etc. you can rest assured there will always be local control over things like u/g vs. aerial, etc...

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Being in N/E Indiana, I have the same issues as Buck has. I do not require any license for electrical work because the State of Indiana does not require it. I am not going to license anyone or register anyone without first understanding what liability the department carries by stating that someone is "qualified". I also am not going to collect money just to say that someone is registered with the department. I wish the state would adopt some type of license that carries some type of indication on the competence of the individual. the plumbing license has been a joke since they grandfathered some many in during the 80's.

luckylerado

Being in N/E Indiana, I have the same issues as Buck has. I do not require any license for electrical work because the State of Indiana does not require it. I am not going to license anyone or register anyone without first understanding what liability the department carries by stating that someone is "qualified". I also am not going to collect money just to say that someone is registered with the department. I wish the state would adopt some type of license that carries some type of indication on the competence of the individual. the plumbing license has been a joke since they grandfathered some many in during the 80's.

I bet you need a license to cut hair or sell a house. Missouri is the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.