Starting out advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Fellas. New kid on the block here and happy to be posting on this instuctors' site.

I just got approved by the state of Kentucky to hold Continuing Ed classes, only to find out I'm am far from the only one in the western part of the state that is planning on doing so. This is not all bad tho.

Anyway, my question is really a two parter(?). In your experience and best advice, how did you (1) get the word out you hold such classes and (2) do you see more of a market for exam prep workshops?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again fellas,

Steve

bphgravity

Re: Starting out advice

I post flyers and registration forms at the surrounding supply houses where I plan to hold a seminar. I also post flyers and registration forms at the local building departments. After that, I generally send mailings and/or faxes to local contractors.

Another recent development I have been trying out is giving free presentations at local IAEI meetings, building association meetings, and other various trade events. I conveniently place my contact information on the literature and handouts I give at these small presentations.

Unless licensing is a state or local requirement in the area you plan on holding classes, I don't see exam prep classes being all that popular. At least not consistently. There is a really small market of persons trying to get licensed.

I find general NEC along with specific code training to be more popular and more likely to receive return students. If you live in an area where they hold apprenticeship classes, perhaps you can make arrangements to hold an exam prep class for graduating 4th year students.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Starting out advice

Originally posted by bphgravity:
I post flyers and registration forms at the surrounding supply houses where I plan to hold a seminar.
Good advice, those stand out like a sore thumb when guys are standing at the counter, bored, waiting for their parts to arrive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.