staple NM cable within 12" of J-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK GUY

A recess can is in an attic ceilling that is accesilble through an access, can you use the 4 1/2' rule for accesable luminairs or should the NM cable be fastened within 12" of the reccess can J-box

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A recess can is in an attic ceilling that is accesilble through an access, can you use the 4 1/2' rule for accesable luminairs or should the NM cable be fastened within 12" of the reccess can J-box

The way I read 334.30(B)(2) you would be permitted to use the 4-1/2' rule.

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can see this going either way however. I don't see an attic as the accessible ceiling meant by the NEC. I believe the intent is a drop ceiling where support may be difficult within 12".

If I understand the intent of the question, I will leave a loop of wire on my connections to a recessed light, but still have a staple within 12" of the box.

So the feed comes to the jbox, is stapled close to the box, but then I put a loop in the nm before it goes into the connector of the jbox. I've done this for years because most of the residential we do is high end, and the architect or designer will come in and want the can moved 12-24" after it's installed..

Then again, maybe that's not why you're asking. If not "neeevvver mind"

Status
Not open for further replies.