sq.ft pricing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave0317

Yesterday i was asked for my sq.ft rate. I have not used this method before. I have thought about giving it a try though. Reading thru some past post about this, i did not notice if the sq.ft. price included the service or not?
Also, as i have understood from the previous post on the subject, this is to min. code, and cans, and large loads are added seperately.Is this correct?
And what about phone/cable? included or seperate?
Im sure it wouldnt take but one time to learn, well, hopefully one, but i would like to git some info so i can make a informed decision.

thank you

mdshunk

Re: sq.ft pricing ?

I try to never use this method. This is a method that some GC's insist on in an effort to get over on an EC. My sq ft price (if they insist) does not include any phone, cable, data, cans, large loads (other than range, dryer, and HWH), fixtures, or the service. And, yes, it will be wired absolute code minimum with this method. I'd much rather look at a set of prints or the actual building framing to give an accurate estimate, and give other options like structured wiring and cans. I suppose you'd have to ask the GC requesting the sq ft price what all he/she wants in that sq ft price. I've seen some lowball guys quoting numbers like 2.00-2.10 sq/ft, which couldn't possibly include the service in my opinion.

bigjohn67

Once you figure our your cost $ per sq. Ft is your best option. This is to basic code requirements and does not include the service and no large loads such as "All electric" and does not include the service. If they want fans and fan boxes, recess lights, flood lights, ect. We Usually add additional cost per opening.

The customer always provides all fixtures except recess light rough-in cans and trims.

southernboys

ok just out of curiosity how much do you guys charge for stuff such as the service and recessed cans is there a per can price is there a difference in overhead vs underground service price

mdshunk

Originally posted by southernboys:
ok just out of curiosity how much do you guys charge for stuff such as the service and recessed cans is there a per can price is there a difference in overhead vs underground service price
Well, we could certainly all answer that, but it makes a huge difference depending on local market conditions. The same installed and trimmed out can can vary in price 100% in different areas.

william runkle

Dave what pricing have you been using? Personally if a general contractor wants sq. ft. pricing use your old way of pricing and divide it by sq. ft. if you quote without services and cans telephone and cable figure it up and divide by sq. ft. so you can give the contractor both prices. Also round up your figure since general wants it that way then give him your quote before dividing sq. ft. the general should be smart enough to figure your prices on his own, in a nut shell stay with what you feel most comfortable with, it should be your most accurate way to bid.

dave0317

Thanks for the replys.
William Runkle, i have always used T&M. Service seperate. I have yet to see a set of prints for the residential work in my area. Always just "to code" plus a walk thru with owner and GC to get the extra stuff. The per opening method seems to be best suited for jobs with prints. My chicken scratch becomes old to me the day after the walk thru so i wouldnt trust that method without prints.
I am gonna run the numbers both ways on the last house i did as a test and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.