Sq D combination motor starter/disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I feel really dumb posting this but there are a few things I don't know. I recently installed 2 Sq D combination starters with hand/off/auto switch. They were supplied by the customer. Had to install a 480/120 control txf in each to drive the coil and lights. The contactor had auxiliary contacts on the sides but I could not figure them out. I had to get an additional small contact block to mount to the switch contacts and enable the auto mode.

Was there a way I could have used the side contacts? I didn't see a practical way to bring power to them and get them to enact the auto mode. It had been years since I hooked up a similar unit.

kwired

Electron manager
Was these "pump panels" or combination starters?

Pump panels typically have fused disconnect, the motor starter with no (unused) aux contacts, a HOA switch and a start button.

The HOA switch has two contacts - one is closed in hand the other in auto. The hand contact wires in just like a stop button in a typical three wire stop - start control scheme. The Auto contact has L1 on one side and you have to provide all other field wiring to make it operate the contactor from that point on. Control power is typically tied directly to power side of motor contactor and is same voltage as the motor circuit.

Combination starters typically are ordered to have whatever options you wish, so we won't know exactly what options you may have without details compared to the pump panel. Some fairly commonly requested combination of options may be stocked at some distributors, but otherwise they are custom ordered. They may take what they have in stock and add on what options you ask for and sell it that way, or they may sell needed items separately and you field install them.

You can get aux contacts to add onto the contactors for additional controls, for either pump panel or the combination starter as they use the same contactors. Most of the size 00 - 2 have one NO aux built into them, but can add on up to 4 more aux contacts - and the most popular one I seen is convertible from NO to NC - so only one part number to keep track of. Size 3 and up use one of those same add on style to be used as a holding contact (if needed), so you can only add on 3 more aux contacts to those.

kwired

Electron manager
If you needed a control transformer to be able to drive the contactor coil then you probably didn't have a pump panel - those are always same voltage coil as the motor circuit - And Square D doesnt' put dual voltage coils in them either but Siemens pump panels usually have dual voltage 240/480 contactor coils - just change some jumpers to convert coil voltage. - Still need a way to convert if using 120 volt controls or replace the coil with a 120 volt coil though.

templdl

I feel really dumb posting this but there are a few things I don't know. I recently installed 2 Sq D combination starters with hand/off/auto switch. They were supplied by the customer. Had to install a 480/120 control txf in each to drive the coil and lights. The contactor had auxiliary contacts on the sides but I could not figure them out. I had to get an additional small contact block to mount to the switch contacts and enable the auto mode.

Was there a way I could have used the side contacts? I didn't see a practical way to bring power to them and get them to enact the auto mode. It had been years since I hooked up a similar unit.
Do you have a picture of the starter as well as its wiring diagram? If you post that it would certainly make a response easier and prevent any misinterpretation..The answer should be simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.