Sprinkler Room & Electrical Room in one space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkim780

I have this architect trying to make a room as a main electrical room(Service equipment room)/Sprinkler room/mechanical room/Plumbing(boilers, water heaters, etc). I know this is not a good way to do it and trying to talk him out of it, but he wouldn't listen to me.

Problem is I can't back up my argument with proper code provisons. I have never seen this before and I would rather have my own main electrical room.

He can't back up his argument with proper code provisions, either but he said he had no problem with this practice before.

Is there any code that allows or doesn't allow to put sprinler room in electrical room? Doesn't either electrical room or sprinkler room require any separation between them? or Is this just design preferance? I was trying to find this on building code and sprinkler codes but I wasn't that lucky. Can anyone help me on this?

Thank you for answer in advance.

hassaf

Re: Sprinkler Room & Electrical Room in one space.

NEC 110.34f (Protection of service equipment). You can use this section of the code as a start to discourage the architect from doing that. It basically states that pipes or ducts foreign to the electrical installation shall not be located in the vicinity of the electrical service equipment. This section is not talking about the dedicated space, or whether these foreign systems is located in the dedicated space, this is already has been taking care of in section 110-26, but it's the proximity to non electrical services that is a safety concern.

The bottom line is, the wiring system shall not be installed in the vicinity of a service liable to cause condensation (such as water, steam or gas service). Any foreseeable operation or damage carried out on either non electrical service shall not cause damage to the electrical service. Having water heaters, sprinkler systems, gas, or any other system, will certainly cause damage to electrical service when a damage occur, such as a leak or any other problem.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The electrical room can have a sprinkler system, it would spray into the dedicated electrical space as given in 110.26. That space is 6ft above the top of the electrical equipment or the structural ceiling and out in front 36" or 42" or 48" depending on voltage, and 30" or the width.

hassaf

if sprinkler system is provided for fire protection of the electrical system, then it's not considered as a foreign system. and 110.34f does not apply to it.

iwire

Staff member

hassaf A sprinkler system in the dedicated equipment space is still a foreign system, it can be in the dedicated equipment space but drip protection is required.

The best method is how Tom described, sprinkler system outside the dedicated space spraying into it.

apauling

if ac equip. you might have better luck with the mechanical code, if transformer over 600 volts, if my memory serves correctly, might have restrictions about space. is this a very small bldg?

paul

ryan_618

903.3.1.1.1 From the IBC (2000)

Exempt locations: Sprinklers shall not be omitted from any room merely because it is damp, of fire resistance-rated construction or contains electrical equipment.
Its important to remember that installing an NFPA 13 sprinkler system provides many, many allowances. You can make buildings higher, you make the up the 300% larger, you can decrease exiting requirements, etc... Because of this, there are no locations exempt.

Sorry, but I side with your architect.

jkim780

Thank you for your input, guys. I guess I have no choice. I kept looking the code requirements but I couln't find any. I have heard that some municipalitis(for example City of Chicago) require seperation between electrical room and sprinkler room, but this is not the case here.

apauling:
I asked one of our mechanical engineer but he couldn't think of any. By the way, this is about 70,000 sf 3-story university building and the room architect trying to use for everyting is about 11'-7"x30'-7".

[ June 14, 2004, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: jkim780 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.