Spot Network Collector Bus

Grouch1980

In a building in NYC that requires a 265/460 volt service, you'll need transformer vaults on the sidewalk and network compartments within the building, the network compartments being adjacent to the transformer vaults.

My question is, where is the collector bus located? Is the collector bus located on the load side of all the network protectors? And from the collector bus, that's where the 265/460 volts then goes into the Service Point? In the case of NYC, the Service End Box.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The collector bus is upstream of the service point. Typically they will have the substation transformers in the vault under the sidewalk > feeding the network protector via cables > feeding the welded aluminum collector bus > feeding the service. Between the collector bus and the service is usually a 5000 amp fuse for a 4000 amp service > from fuses stabs (in end box) to convert to cables typically 10 sets of 600 kcmil to service. Some photos:

Collector bus connection to network protector:
Collector Bus 001.jpg
3Ø collector bus with bare neutral bus:
Collector Bus 002.jpg

Stabs in end box transition to cables to service

Attachments

• Bus Stabs.jpg
    Bus Stabs.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The collector bus is upstream of the service point. Typically they will have the substation transformers in the vault under the sidewalk > feeding the network protector via cables > feeding the welded aluminum collector bus > feeding the service. Between the collector bus and the service is usually a 5000 amp fuse for a 4000 amp service > from fuses stabs (in end box) to convert to cables typically 10 sets of 600 kcmil to service. Some photos:

Collector bus connection to network protector:
View attachment 2571007
3Ø collector bus with bare neutral bus:
View attachment 2571008

Stabs in end box transition to cables to service
Those are stabs from the SEB provide by the gear vendor?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Those are stabs from the SEB provide by the gear vendor?
I think that those stabs are part of the ConEd Network.* The field work begins are the stabs.

*Edit-Looking at the photo again I'm not 100% sure that the stabs were provided by the switchboard manufacturer.

Grouch1980

In the first picture you posted, titled "Collector bus connection to network protector"... what angle is this? are we standing where the network protector would be, looking towards the collector bus?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sorry for the late response. Thanks Infinity for the pictures. Pictures say a lot!

The box at the very top... that's the Service End Box / Service Point? So on the other side of the wall is the network protector?
Yes. On the other side of the wall is fuses that connect to the collector bus, sorry it's a bit blurry:
Network Fuses.jpg
In the first picture you posted, titled "Collector bus connection to network protector"... what angle is this? are we standing where the network protector would be, looking towards the collector bus?
Standing in front of the network protector looking up. I have some more photos that I can post I just have to find them. Before the network protector was installed:
Collector Bus 003.jpg

Grouch1980

What is the depth of the network compartments and the transformer vaults? Con Edison's layout does not seem to indicate it... I attached their layout.

Attachments

• Pages from Transformer_Vault_Placement CSP.pdf
    423.5 KB · Views: 7

Grouch1980

So I almost found the depth requirements... if you look in Con Edison's EO-5023 document:

and go to section 13 (page 9), titled "space requirements", it leads you to EO-1114... and I cannot find this document on Google... can anyone help?

you would think putting all these requirements into ONE document, that is AVAILABLE for use... I don't know, maybe I'm reaching for the stars.