Split bolt vs inline splicer reducer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Perhaps a silly question but I was wondering if most prefer one product over the other. I like the inline splicers but I feel I must grip the item with channel locks in order to tighten the set screws properly, kind of awkward. Maybe it's easier to get a "Solid" connection with a split bolt, surprisingly, I've only used like one split bolt in almost 20 years in the field.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Perhaps a silly question but I was wondering if most prefer one product over the other. I like the inline splicers but I feel I must grip the item with channel locks in order to tighten the set screws properly, kind of awkward. Maybe it's easier to get a "Solid" connection with a split bolt, surprisingly, I've only used like one split bolt in almost 20 years in the field.

To "properly" tighten them requires a torque wrench or screw driver. My guess would be if you are using a pair of channel locks, you are torquing them too much.

mark32

To "properly" tighten them requires a torque wrench or screw driver. My guess would be if you are using a pair of channel locks, you are torquing them too much.

No, no, I use the channel locks to hold the splicer in place while I tighten the set screws with a torque screwdriver. Jumper, I assume you are talking about crimped on connectors correct? What equipment to you use/own for such work?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What kind of in-line splicers are we talking about here? Insulation piercing?

I usually use Polaris type, occasionally insulation piercing. I used compression C-taps a couple times but I don't think I'll do that again.

I can't really imagine using a split-bolt for anything besides grounding.

mark32

jumper

Hey Mark,

Sorry so late getting back to this thread.

As far as using compression over mechanical - it is way quicker and easier.

The connectors are usually cheaper, but the cost of a crimper can be expensive.

There are all kinds of different connectors and crimpers and they gotta match.

IIRC you are a one man band and a part time EC, you have another job.

The cost of a crimper may not suit your needs if you do not use it enough.

For large or spec jobs, my bosses have always provided them

I do have a "cheap" crimper for small quick - in and out jobs.

This crimper can be used on a variety of connectors. Unlike better and more expensive crimpers that encircle the connector, it makes a butt ugly punch and weird V shape.

PS. There are cheaper models made by others of this crimper. Google "dieless compression crimper".

mark32

Hey Mark,

Sorry so late getting back to this thread.

As far as using compression over mechanical - it is way quicker and easier.

The connectors are usually cheaper, but the cost of a crimper can be expensive.

There are all kinds of different connectors and crimpers and they gotta match.

IIRC you are a one man band and a part time EC, you have another job.

The cost of a crimper may not suit your needs if you do not use it enough.

For large or spec jobs, my bosses have always provided them

I do have a "cheap" crimper for small quick - in and out jobs.

This crimper can be used on a variety of connectors. Unlike better and more expensive crimpers that encircle the connector, it makes a butt ugly punch and weird V shape.

PS. There are cheaper models made by others of this crimper. Google "dieless compression crimper".

Hi Jumper, thanks for the response. Yeah, an item like this won't see much use from me but I enjoy owning and using such tools. I did search for Dieless compression crimpers but so many items came up. I'd want something that can crimp #4 up to 4/0 with the appropriate dies, of course. Am I looking for one that rachets? Burndy is a big name, could you recommend something from them? Also, the item you linked me to, is that the one you typically use? Looks like it covers the sizes I want.

I like the set screw inline splicers: they are inexpensive, quick, and easy to tape up. I find split bolts a pain to tighten and to tape up.

jumper

Burndy, Greenlee, and others make that same type of crimper. Yes, they do up to 4/0 AL and 250kcmil CU.

I use the ILSCO one because the connectors are readily available at many places.

Sure a ratcheting crimper would be nice, but expensive. I let bosses buy the good stuff.

That crimper works for small stuff, but would not work for a GC who is working on big gear, large jobs, or spec work. General resi and small commercial only.

Again, it comes down to what fits your needs vs. price.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Status
Not open for further replies.