spa time

Status
Not open for further replies.

espo229

Just started doing these 50 amp heated spa units.I dont have any problems till I get out to gfci enclosure.I am tired of reading art.680 so am asking for input. Art. 680 42a1 says no more than 6 ft. of flex to unit. If I mount gfci 5ft. away, 3 to 4 ft.up the wall and add 1ft.the spa is supposed to be away from the house and then find out the control box is on the other side, I could be looking at 12 to 15 ft.of flex both inside and out of the unit. Both of the spas Im doing are in corners of homes that form 90s and on slabs. Will call for inspection this week and see what ahj says. If this was a pool, no problem. But these spas are being dropped down in some strange places.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Re: spa time

look at 356.10 5 , That applies to a whip length.It`s still conduit if installed in accordance with 356.30

espo229

Thanks for the input on the flex problem.I was stuck in 680 with the 5 and 6 ft. rules. Is it me or do these spas need different attention than pools. Just looked at a spa being put on a deck in a 90 degree corner with sliding doors to the left. No way 50 amp gfci can be 5 ft. away. Maybe 10 ft., not 5. Can I use the 680.12 rule? No feet there just within sight. Must be a spa price war here in Jersey. Everybody is getting them. To bad they forget to include the installation cost. Thanks again

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

356.10(5) does not overrule 680.42(A)(1). You are still limited to 6 feet of LFMC or LFNC. Why not run RMC, IMC or RNC from the GFCI to the hot tub then convert to flex?

luke warmwater

Please re-read article 680 again.
Alot of spas are different, and almost every installation is different in some way.
The disconnect does not have to be exactly 5 ft. away.
It must be at least 5 ft. from, within sight, etc...
So, why couldn't it be 10 ft. away?
Read the definition of 'within sight'(in sight from) in article 100.
As curt states, you are stuck with the 6ft. of flex.
Please read 90.3 for Code Arrangement. Article 680 is in chapter 6 which modifies chapter 3.
For our info, you do hold a valid NJ electrical license, correct?

espo229

I am a licensed contractor in the state of nj.I guess i should have asked my question as has any one passed inspection with an extra foot or two of sealtight on the load side of your outside gfci enclosure.I am trying to keep the homeowners house from looking like a factory with extra boxes. 5 ft. from spa, 3 ft. up wall,and 2 ft. in spa. Just did one this way and I know I broke the 6 ft. rule, but it looks great and i dont have an extra box where sombody can step on it. I thank every one for their replys and will discuss this with the ahj upon inspections. I dont know if its me or not, but sealtight should be able to go the whole distance. thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.