Source for copper bus bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Anybody know of a source for copper ground busses, the kind that are drilled and tapped for lugs? These will also have some kind of mounting arrangement for mounting to a backboard.

I've seen these on jobs used for the MGB or BPG (building principle ground) bus at the service entrance for connection of various equipment grounds.

-Hal

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Source for copper bus bars.

Hal, we buy 1/4" x 3" and 1/4" x 4" from a local metal fabrication company. If we need a lot of holes we will have them drill and tap the bars.

Roger

[ October 25, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Hey -everyone

This is right up my alley. WE use a company called "Lyncole" Torrance CA for copper but we also use Caddy/Erico for tinned. :D

dereckbc

Staff member

Hal, most of the bars used for MGB, OPGP, FGB, LRB, BPG, etc are not tapped. Rather they are drilled for 2-hole lugs with 9/16 holes on 2-inch centers too accept 1/2 bolts, or combo of 1-1/2 inch spacing for 1/4 inch hardware.

They come in various lengths, but are typically 4-inch high, 1/4-inch thick, and up to 48-inches long. I have local electrical shops fabricate them as that is the most economical means.

However you can buy them from many manufactures with the isolation hardware from places like Newton Instruments, Bee-Line, Graybar, North Supply, or other telecom suppliers at a premium price. You can even have them stenciled with the various zones like "P"-"A"-"N"-"I" if you want.

Edited for spelling errors.

[ October 25, 2004, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

Status
Not open for further replies.