Solar taps that are UL listed “suitable for line side of the service equipment. NEC 230.46

Jriggins7

Occupation
Electrician
Buchanan makes a UL listed tap (BTap) that says “suitable for use on line side of the service equipment”. Just failed an inspection for using an ilsco and the Burndys (which are identical to the BTap but serial numbers are different) aren’t suitable but UL listed. This has been an issue since the first of the year everywhere but this is the only device I found that is suitable for line side of service equipment and allowed me to pass my inspection. Buchanan BTap Cat # BTC4/0-10 is what I used (service conductors 4/0-3 AWG and tap 2-10 AWG) and has a tap amp rating of up to 130 amps (which you’ll never get to off res solar), misinterpreted thinking it was the service amperage.

Buchanan BTap

Last edited:

MinaAmeli

Occupation
Project Manager for Solar Company/ Plan technician
Would anyone happen to have the document for the Buchanan BTAP Connector showing the NEC230.46 compliance? I called their customer service to get it but they told me to email a request and they'll mail me a paper copy. I kind of need it sooner than that.. Working on a project for my boss's dad.

baserunner4

I've had success using this product. Their documentation is listed on the website showing the NEC 230.46 compliance.

MinaAmeli

Occupation
Project Manager for Solar Company/ Plan technician
I've had success using this product. Their documentation is listed on the website showing the NEC 230.46 compliance.
Thank you so much!! We never do taps and the installer is insisting on it. It's been driving me crazy!!