Solar PV systems grounding / bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
Hello all!

Anyone with the experience and knowledge of wiring these systems into the utility supplied system, I would be much obliged for some of your expertise.

I don’t have all of the correct terms associated with the solar system yet.
However, there is the array on a residential roof. By the sun, generating some type of power. Assuming they are all the same, it seems at least i in n this case, that it is producing 15 amps. Temperature adjustment of a hot attic in the midst of summer and engineered specs—— #10.

Moving on, everything in the electrical system needs an EGC. This wiring from the array, goes to the inverter. In this case leaving the inverter, going to PV meter, than to a PV a/c disconnect and supply side type at a gen transfer switch.

I will learn!

Question, is the number 10 EGC between the array and the inverter correct, as far as grounding the metal rack that the arrays are mounted to?

I am trying to grasp the EGC and GEC associated with the system.
They way, that I think I understand, is that the inverter would have a GEC going to the system electrode.

If you can, please help me understand know code reference.

Thanks
Mike

asif.k

Occupation
PE, Solar PV and SCADA Engineer, NABCEP Certified
Size of the EGC depends upon the size of the OCPD . How OCPD is calculated, you have te refer to other sections of NEC. Assuming simple method is used to calculat size of the OCPD then
15 x 1.56 = 23.4A
So as per 240.4(B) size of the OCPD is 25A as per NEC table 240.6(A), by selecting the next applicable
Now, as per Table 250.122, size of EGC comes out to be #10

Status
Not open for further replies.