Solar all in one on 10 foot aluminum post ground rod?

TAPandSons

Occupation
Electrical
We have installed a 3 inch round 10 foot aluminum post with an all in one solar head on top. No wires. All self contained. The city is requiring us to install a ground rod and lug it to the pole at each pole. They also want an electrical engineer stamp. No engineer will stamp it they said it's not required. And after watching Mikes video he discourages the rod. Can I get some feed back on this. Thanks.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
We have installed a 3 inch round 10 foot aluminum post with an all in one solar head on top. No wires. All self contained. The city is requiring us to install a ground rod and lug it to the pole at each pole. They also want an electrical engineer stamp. No engineer will stamp it they said it's not required. And after watching Mikes video he discourages the rod. Can I get some feed back on this. Thanks.
If the rod is permitted by the NEC but not required I don't see why a PE would not sign off on it. I don't know what you mean by "no wires", though.

Last edited:

TAPandSons

Occupation
Electrical
Because it's an all in one solar post top head and has no remote wiring leaving. And he is questioning the one ground rod bolted to the side of the aluminum post.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My question would be why would the city be requiring a PE stamp to install a ground rod that is not even required.

I am thinking that a letter from a PE with a stamp on the letter stating that they believe the ground rod is not required or useful but they see no reason to believe it will harm anything might be appropriate if that is what it takes to move the job along.

Now who pays for this is something else.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My question would be why would the city be requiring a PE stamp to install a ground rod that is not even required.

I am thinking that a letter from a PE with a stamp on the letter stating that they believe the ground rod is not required or useful but they see no reason to believe it will harm anything might be appropriate.
What I assumed from the OP is that the AHJ is requiring a PE stamp on the entire design, not just the ground rod.

TAPandSons

Occupation
Electrical
I know the products are ahead of the NEC. These cities are a pain in the you know what. I tried finding any codes in the bible on anything close to this but nothing. I can find anyway.

TAPandSons

Occupation
Electrical
No they want one just for the ground rod only. The back story is one of th neighbors near the park doesnt like lights in th common park. So he knows the Town of Gilbert people herein arizona. I think it's just mud slinging at my expense at this point.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think the town is off its rocker but unfortunately there is no exception to 690.47(A) for this sort of thing. So unless your pole is 10ft in the ground (250.52(A)(2)) then the NEC requires the rod (and arguably, even two rods). Perhaps you could argue that your solar device is not a 'PV system" especially if it's a self contained device. Doesn't seem like the town would buy this.

The request for a PE stamp is absolutely unreasonable IMHO.

TAPandSons

Occupation
Electrical
I think the town is off its rocker but unfortunately there is no exception to 690.47(A) for this sort of thing. So unless your pole is 10ft in the ground (250.52(A)(2)) then the NEC requires the rod (and arguably, even two rods). Perhaps you could argue that your solar device is not a 'PV system" especially if it's a self contained device. Doesn't seem like the town would buy this.

I agree, The town is off its rocker.