smokies

Status
Not open for further replies.

lle

If, in new construction, it is per NEC to install battery backup units on the hard wired smokes, can someone direct me to the proper section.

I'm not finding it.

I've always installed battery backup units when I could, but I need to put my "finger" on the wording if it exists.

Thanks.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: smokies

This would be a building code requirement not an NEC requirement. If you?re in an area using the UBC section 1210 covers smoke detector. Ryan or one of the other members might be able to provide IRC requirements.

pierre

Re: smokies

R 317.1.3
... All smoke alarms shall be listed and installed in accordance with the provisions of this code and the household fire warning equipment provisions of NFPA 72. (NFPA 72- 11.4.3)

'Smoke alarms' as per NFPA are what most of us call 'smoke detectors'(11.7.2 - 'detectors' are connected to and powered by a control panel).
Smoke detectors as per NFPA 72 are part of a 'system' and do not have alarm (sounding) capibilities.
Smoke alarms are what most of us install when we are installing line voltage or battery powered smoke alarms. The smoke alarm has it's own alarm (sounding) capibiity within the device, and is not connected to a control panel.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.