smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael

I failed a final electrical inspection because i did not label in the panel box which arc fault protected bedroom the smoke detectors were on. I did put the smoke detectors on the master bedroom arc fault circuit.The inspector sited Article 210.12. His exact wording was. Unidentified Arc Fault circuits @ panel.(smoke detectors). I am in Central Florida. Has any one else come across this.I looked through Article 210.12 and do not see anything regarding this. Thank you in advance for any responses.

2ndrat

Re: smoke detectors

To bad your not in WI, because in Com 16 we are not required to use arc fault breakers.

Am I correct that you said you have the smoke detectors wired in with the room circuit? I'm not 100%
sure on this, but I wire the smoke detectors on their own circuit because of code.

Hope this helps?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I think that the inspector should have cited 408.4. It is important for the occupants to be able to identify the power source for the smoke detector system.
Don

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Micheal i understand your frustration I also am in central West coast Florida.Actually 210.12 and 408.4 both are articles that cover smoke detectors .1 they have to be arc fault protected and 2 they must be labeled in the panel.As far as a dedicated circuit for smokes nope with the cost af those breakers it is way to expensive IMHO.Prior to 2002 NEC it wasn`t an issue but now it is cost wise.

jimwalker

i feel safer having smokes on bedroom circuit.Would get noticed much faster.Do know of a contractor here that uses 2 arc faults.1 for bedroom receptacles other for fixed lighting and smokes.This helps in finding the cause if it trips from customers plug in stuff.Kind of glad i don't need to mess with arc faults anymore.Commercial wiring is far less problems

Status
Not open for further replies.