smoke detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Pai

I have a remote building (pumphouse) in which there is a fire alarm booster panel, by code I need a smoke detector within 5'(?). The smoke detector is a photoelectric type.

There is a unit heater mounted relatively close to the fire alarm panel, the fan blower on heater could potentially prevent smoke reaching the detector in a timely fashion. The electrical inspector has brought the issue up...what "approach" can I take to tell the inspector that everything will be OK or am I screwed?

sceepe

bdarnell said:
Is this a NAC booster ? I'm not so sure you need a smoke detector there if it is.

I thought NFPA 72 requires a smoke detector at any panel that supplies power or controls the function of other devices. Based on that definition, a detector would be required at a NAC panel.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
NFPA 72-4.4.5 requires a smoke detector at each " fire alarm control unit(s) to provide notification of fire at that location".

I only said that I wasn't sure about the requirement since I've never had an AHJ or fire marshal require one at a remote NAC panel. I guess a NAC booster could be considered a "fire alarm control unit".

I'd check with the local authority to be sure.

benaround

Jay Pia,

Why would this heater be treated any differently than any other common

type of HVAC equipment? Ceiling fans, open windows, supply and return ducts

,drafts, etc. can all affect the reaction time on a smoke detector but only by

the smallest amount of time. I'm sure you have seen video on how fast a room

fills with smoke,maybe an agreement can be made on such terms?

Status
Not open for further replies.