Smoke Detector on Acoustical Ceiling tile Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkim780

Hi, I have a question on smoke detector location on school PC lab. School code requires smoke detectors on every PC labs. My problem is that this class room has (4) sections of acoustical ceiling tile clouds and each clouds has indrect linear lighting fixtures in the middle. There are about 2' gab between the clouds and about 6 1/2" beams are in the middle. Now, where do I have to put my smoke detectors? Should I put them on the clouds or deck above the ceiling clouds? I have looked NFPA 72 but I am still not sure where to put them? Can anyone help me? Thanks.

websparky

Re: Smoke Detector on Acoustical Ceiling tile Cloud.

Definitely not on the cloudes!

2002 NFPA 72
5.5.2.1.4 Detectors shall not be required below open grid ceilings if all of the following conditions exist:
(1) Openings of the grid are 6.4 mm (? in.) or larger in the least dimension.
(2) Thickness of the material does not exceed the least dimension.
(3) Openings constitute at least 70 percent of the area of the ceiling material.
Mostlikely, the beam spacing will not come into consideration unless they are about every 6 feet or closer, depending on ceiling height.

[ March 19, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: websparky ]

ron

Can't picture these clouds.
If they are decoration, and don't prevent smoke travel to the slab above, then install on slab.
Beams can be a problem if they are greater than 12" deep. How tall is the ceiling, >12'?

jkim780

Dave,
Thank you for your answer. That was what I thought.

Ron,
11' to cloud and 14' to the slab above.

Status
Not open for further replies.