Small business insurance plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
So been thinking about it for a while I don’t do a whole lot of side work, but occasionally some will pop up, and possible plan to do more and more once I change jobs and starting to work towards my masters in the new year.

As much as I love doing work cash money, I like to know I’m doing things right and not jeopardizing my license and livelihood.

It’s just LLC. Don’t plan on making much revenue at the time with work and busy as I am now, so for the time being just doing small jobs here and there. In example remodel and additions, possible new service installations, upgrades and trouble shooting.

Need some insight and ideas as to what would be a good ball park number for a liability insurance plan.

thanks

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Can you contract in WV with a journeyman license?
From my research and understanding it’s limited while having journeyman license and small business. Possible 2,500$ a job, not for sure on price just an assumed guess that I think I’ve seen.
BUT to be an actual electrical contractor i would have to obtain my master license.

Im going to call state fire Marshall tomorrow and get for sure facts tomorrow lord willing.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I like camping at Plum Orchard Lake on my trips between NC and IN . I think of being an electrician in that beautiful state of WV
I’ve lived here my whole life I love it!. If you love outdoors there’s plenty of it.

Also not that it’s a good thing but from what I see our liscensing is really relaxed, as far as continuing education and retest or anything of that nature.(not saying test are any easier) just that once you pass your set for life other than yearly 50$ to keep your license up.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
West Virginia ahh a beautiful state I have many fond memories of Braxton county,
you need a master electricians license and contractors license to do any work on your own or 'side work' because a journeyman's license does not allow you to plan and design your work.
If you want to be a 'sole proprietor' that is your lowest cost option, a steal at $20/yr.
As in most states a journeyman electrician is not allowed to design electrical work.
See West Virginia law §29-3B-2(d):
Cheers

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
West Virginia ahh a beautiful state I have many fond memories of Braxton county,
you need a master electricians license and contractors license to do any work on your own or 'side work' because a journeyman's license does not allow you to plan and design your work.
If you want to be a 'sole proprietor' that is your lowest cost option, a steal at $20/yr.
As in most states a journeyman electrician is not allowed to design electrical work.
Cheers
Thanks for the info! Well atleast ive got some of the stuff out of the way, and once I obtain my masters than I can get a insurance plan and whole nine yards.
Master test will be on 2020 code cycle though, I believe it should come in affect either new year or Sometime in March I believe

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Cheers
Only bad thing I see about the “sole proprietor” is it is risky with no liability...from what I can see. Could be wrong

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
In MA a journeyman can operate a business without a Masters and pull permits but can only have 1 apprentice , can't hire another journeymen.

In fact in MA if you have a Masters license you can run a business and pull permits but cannot touch the tools without your journeymen's

Every state is different which limits reciprocity

We don't have to have insurance but if you don't have it you need the building owner to sign the permit application stating that he assumes liability and knows you don't have insurance

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
So been thinking about.. side work.. remodel and additions, possible new service installations, upgrades and trouble shooting.
My NEXT General Liability policy covers minor unlicensed electrical service @ 2M and Zero deductable for $473.- annually.

Any GL claims resulting from license violations are void. In my State thats any project over $500, counting all labor and materials on site.

If a state prohibits unlicensed JW design, that may include any new work, and owner-builder permits without engineered plans, and such side-work GL claims will be void.

All states will treat cash payments or unreported payroll the same, by voiding helper casualty claims for lack of Workmen's Comp., and punishing contractors acting as employers.

All states also have DIY owners, contractor laborers lacking WC, & unlicensed subs, which dominate the residential-remodel sector with electrical hacks, and fire hazards.

Similar to the proliferation of commercial and industrial electrical hazards, installed under feckless RMO license holders, who's qualified corrections may be ignored by corporate management.

Any unlicensed journeyman that can refuse work not legally covered by their GL policy, and guarantee no legal cause to void property insurance, has a unique advertising campaign, which many license shops can not accomplish.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
All states also have DIY owners, contractor laborers lacking WC, & unlicensed subs, which dominate the residential-remodel sector with electrical hacks, and fire hazards.

lol!

The punishment justifies the crime for all the hordes of 'property maintenance' unpermitted, unlicensed, uninsurable electrical work in my area. In fact, they're famous for hiring apprentice washouts to do so

~RJ~

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
So I called the state fire Marshall office this morning and talked to them, and found out a journeyman electrician can work under a small business license. BUT it’s so limited that’s it’s rather pointless.

Basically only able to fix and repair existing installations, due to the fact your not able to design or alter any. Also you cannot pull any permits and money on a job is limited to 2500$. After that a Contractor’s license is needed.

So with all that said I’d be comfortable with only operating under a small business license due to the fact never gonna do any jobs that big an excessive. But definitely have to work towards my masters because that fact of not being able to pull permits and plan designs and alter existing is really a deal breaker.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I’m sure
lol!

The punishment justifies the crime for all the hordes of 'property maintenance' unpermitted, unlicensed, uninsurable electrical work in my area. In fact, they're famous for hiring apprentice washouts to do so

~RJ~
I’m sure that happens a lot, I’ll admit I’ve been guilty of doing “side work” . But it’s just not worth it, the liability law suites etc.
That’s why I wanna do things the right way moving forward. Nothing is worth the loss of license and livelihood.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I’ve been guilty of doing “side work” . But it’s just not worth it, the liability law suites etc.
That’s why I wanna do things the right way moving forward. Nothing is worth the loss of license and livelihood.
Your licensed rivals in West Virginia have probably contacted your union hall by now, and State license board.

If your phone doesn't start ringing with invitations to license-baord sting projects, then your union business manager may already have your side-work confession on his desk. Unlicensed JW's bear the burden to prove their side work won't jeopardize their organization, violate laws, or labor agreements.

License board sting projects invite the unlicensed to demonstrate their incompetence to law enforcement officers. Licensed rivals will make sure you are invited to sting projects, or will notify your union business manager.

None of these agencies require law suites or casualty claims to prosecute violations of license law; excavations without dig alert, disturbing old paint without lead abatement, or forward cases to unemployment offices for under-reported payroll, to IRS for tax evasion, or to State fire marshals for obstructing or tampering with fire-suppression systems.

It is easier to believe that unlicensed JW's can carefully select side jobs legally, than to believe they will refuse side work altogether.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Nothing is worth the loss of license and livelihood.
These sorts have no license to loose Dsg, many times i've seen the state throw them off jobs w/$500 fine

They laugh, add it to the job, and say 'see ya next month'

Objectively speaking , one is constantly punished FOR playin' the game right on my turf

And we wonder why the average age of licensure is approaching retirement here.....

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.