Single phase 400 amp service w/2 200amp disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a recent installation of a single phase 400 amp with standard ringless meter base going to two. 200A disconnects each going to 200 amp main lug panels. The state inspector filled it, because the phase were wired on opposite sides of the breaker on each disconnect. Exact memo on permit; “meter base and disconnects not properly wired (a phase to one panel, b phase to other panel)”

My interpretation
So the electrician that wired it wired the first phase to the left side and second phase to the right side of first disconnect breaker and the first phase to the right side and the second phase to the left side of the second disconnect breaker.

Definitely not attention to detail and not perfect. I am putting this on here to ask anybody’s thoughts on this; safety concerns? Functionality (Does it work?), or any other comments. image000000.jpeg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's a non-issue with single-phase services.

Did he also trace the wires between the meter lugs and the disconnects?

You're lucky that you can land your rod GEC in the meter. Where are the rest?

Also, bushing missing on the feeder in the left disco.

Last edited:

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Look at line wires
Line 1 goes to left panle on both legs of the main
Line 2 goes to right panle on both legs of the main.
400 amps of 120 on a 200 amp netural.

120 volt only to each panle.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
He has both phase conductors feeding the left panel off of the same phase in the meter, same with the panel to the right so no 240 volts. Looks like SER so no bushing required.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
On a recent installation of a single phase 400 amp with standard ringless meter base going to two. 200A disconnects each going to 200 amp main lug panels. The state inspector filled it, because the phase were wired on opposite sides of the breaker on each disconnect. Exact memo on permit; “meter base and disconnects not properly wired (a phase to one panel, b phase to other panel)”

My interpretation
So the electrician that wired it wired the first phase to the left side and second phase to the right side of first disconnect breaker and the first phase to the right side and the second phase to the left side of the second disconnect breaker.

Definitely not attention to detail and not perfect. I am putting this on here to ask anybody’s thoughts on this; safety concerns? Functionality (Does it work?), or any other comments. View attachment 2564765
Far from perfect! LOL!

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
It's a non-issue with single-phase services.

Did he also trace the wires between the meter lugs and the disconnects?

You're lucky that you can land your rod GEC in the meter. Where are the rest?

Also, bushing missing on the feeder in the left disco.
Yeah, Georgia Power wouldn’t put power to it with the GEC in their equipment! EMC will though. On overhead services, the EMC wanted the GEC ran straight thru the meter base and out the mast, where they would crimp it with the neutral at the weatherhead.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
My thoughts would be rework and correct the wireing so you can get 240 volt to each panel. Easy fix.
As far as functionality goes not very functional with toady's typical house loads.
Does it work! Yes however will not perform well.

Please make corrections to be code compliant.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'd swap the conductors on the feed through lugs on the right side as well, while fixing the bigger problems.

At first I thought that was the inspector's issue. The real issue is kinda jaw-dropping. Good inspector.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Also, POCO may not be thrilled with the location of the line side entry. Probably should be on left side, you can see part of the sticker that probably says that.
POCO here wouldn't power that with the feed coming in on that side. Hope that meter base has a 3" KO on the left. Not the inspector's call, but most will warn of that. We would have to use the opposite side from the POCO feed for the load. Usually back-to-back to one panel and sweep or LB over and up to another LB for the other panel.
If the "electrician" will correct the conductors, maybe he could get some grace on the POCO stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.