Shower Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

malcolmfifer

Occupation
Carpenter
I am building a Summer House and want to install a shower but there is a 200Amp Distribution box 2 feet from the shower door. Is this OK?
I can put a padlock on the box if that helps.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(allowed post only as to "is it permissible" type question and not instructional question)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No, you cannot have a panel especially a service panel in the bathroom. If you are saying the panel is outside the bathroom but 2 feet from the door then that is not an issue.

malcolmfifer

Occupation
Carpenter
Thanks for the advice but I was not specific enough.
I have a wooden deck 13' sq with a hot tub in the middle and a roof but partly open at the sides. I installed a new 200A panel on one of the walls to feed the hot tub and other needs. There is a door into a similar sized area, roofed and screened. I want to take a 3'x4' corner from this second area for a shower but the entry to the shower will be from the hot tub area. This means the shower entry/door/curtain will end up 2 feet from the 200A panel.
Do you think the inspector will approve this?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If I understand you correctly then I don't see any reason why he would fail that install as long as the panel has it's clearance. I don't know any rule that requires the panel to be a certain distance from a shower room. Am I correct that the panel is outside the closed in area of the shower?

malcolmfifer

Occupation
Carpenter
Thanks a million.
Correct. The only way you could touch the panel, while taking a shower, would be to reach out of the shower and feel around the corner but you would need a fairly long arm to do that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I am closing this thread. I think we have given you enough to go on. This site is for electricians and their associated trades

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.