should I fur down

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

Hey guys working on a house that has sprinkler pipes ran lower then the joists so the cieling drops to 8 ft. No big deal the problem I have is theres going to be areas that they will only put up a 1/2 inch fur strip. they want me to put up my own fur strips so that the canlights will be low enough to new cieling. Im starting to wonder if the gc should be responsible to put up fur strips rather then me since he is the framer

mdshunk

Re: should I fur down

I don't know what brand of cans you use, but mine adjust downwards. I use Progress, and you can nail them up high without furring. They have a wing nut inside that will allow the can part to slide down to several inches. That would preclude any furring. BUT... if any furring or blocking is required to install any of an electrician's gear, I blieve it is the electrician's responsibility. I would not, however, do that for free. I'd certainly say that a change order is proper for that if it was not called out on the prints that you bid on. If this is T&M work, don't sweat it. Bite your toungue and do what you gotta do. I know a few grouchy electricians who would say, "I'n not an #!*% carpenter", and I can respect that. I'm more passive, and just do whatever it takes.

[ June 30, 2005, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

celtic

they want me to put up my own fur strips so that the canlights will be low enough to new cieling
...and if you don't, will the ceiling be wavy?

If yes, it's the framer/gc's issue.
If no, it's the ec's issue.

southernboys

shunk these are made by hubbell I think progress line they are there firebox canlights. there really kind of a neat ligt the can itself comes totally enclosed in drywall to give it a 1 hout fire rating. Im not sure if they have the wingnut Im hoping they do. as far as the drywall being wavy considering that im not a carpenter my fur strips may cause the drywall to be wavy. If I dont put the strips up the cans will be too high. It is a tnm job but I dont have the time to waste on this job asI live in the panhandle of Fl and were balls to the walls 24/7 thanks to the huricanes

mdshunk

Luckily for you, the Firebox cans do adjust. From the Firebox spec sheet...

Construction
? Adjustment for ceiling thickness from
1/2" to 2"

southernboys

shunk you just made my night thank you so much did I mention how much I appreciate this forum and the great guys we have here !!!!!!!!!!!!

hurk27

By Mdshunk They have a wing nut inside that will allow the can part to slide down to several inches.
The wing nut you described is not to adjust the can down to ceiling but to adjust the bulb socket hight. The 3, ?" head hex screws in the side are what adjust the can to be flush with the ceiling finish. ;)

southernboys

Hurk you are correct it was the screws that allowed the can to drop. Just want to say thanks again as you guys saved me an *** load of time and headache

mdshunk

Originally posted by hurk27:
The wing nut you described is not to adjust the can down to ceiling but to adjust the bulb socket hight. The 3, ?" head hex screws in the side are what adjust the can to be flush with the ceiling finish. :D I remember that now, since this is the reason I bought Klein's new 5/16" and ?" stubby nut driver set. They've come in handy several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.