Sharing Conduit - Inverter Output Circuits 480v & 208V Small Motor Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anode

Is there anything that disallows an inverter output circuit ( this case is 480v ) from sharing a conduit that would have a circuit for a small motor running on 208. :?

As long as everything is clear with fill and derate for multiple current carrying conductors, are there any glaring reasons why this couldn't be done?

The example is a solar tracker's motor circuit running back to an electrical room in a single conduit with the inverter output circuit. It would then hit a pull box and split off to separate panels.

Thanks.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
There's nothing that disallows it. There are some rules that have to be followed (e.g. different identification of grounded conductors) but it's no different from any other combo of AC circuits.

Anode

What about 725.135(I)? We now have an inspector questioning this preemptively. We are going to provide separate conduits at this point. But can you add any interpretation of this you can add?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What about 725.135(I)? We now have an inspector questioning this preemptively. We are going to provide separate conduits at this point. But can you add any interpretation of this you can add?

Is that code reference a typo? I can't figure out what connection it has to the subject at all. You mentioned a 208V supply, I can't imagine that that is a Class 1,2 or 3 power supply.

Again, this is no different from mixing other 408V and 208V wiring in a raceway. The fact that it is an inverter output is not relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.