Service entrance raceway conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
We are installing an underground primary system, pad mounted transformers and 480 volt service entrance laterals to interior distribution points. It has long been held that utilities will not let contractors pull in raceway bonding conductors from main service panels to pad mount transformers. Since we are essentially the utility in this case, what is the NEC requirement, if any ? And, if I am required to pull bonding conductors in my conduit (PVC) what do I terminate to in my pad mount transformer ? A code reference would be nice to have if someone knows. I'd hate to think that we have been in violation all of these years, but utilities never let you do this. HELP !! :confused:

iwire

Staff member
Re: Service entrance raceway conductor

You will be bonding the transformers XO to the earth and the transformer enclosure.

You will also be bonding at the service disconnect.

There is no need for a bonding or equipment grounding conductor between these to pieces of equipment.

In fact doing so will violate 310.4

cripple

Re: Service entrance raceway conductor

Originally posted by bdarnell
Since we are essentially the utility in this case, what is the NEC requirement, if any ?

If you are your own utility, you must be past the service point, and the NEC requirements for the pad mounted transformer would be the same as 250.30(A)(1) Exception No. 1.
Installing the equipment-grounding conductor in the PVC conduit would be a violation of 250.6, 250.24(A)(2), 250.30(A)(1) and 310.4

Service Point. The point of connection between the facilities of the serving utility and the premises wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.