Septic tank cord grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I am posting ahead of time I have not looked yet in my code book. I have a septic tank and every time they have an interior splice box for all SOW cords With cord grip gromits.

this tank has No splice boy just a 2“ conduit, off the top of my head I need a cord grip of some type. Supplier tells me to just run cords up and caulk the hole, not doing that. Any cord grips you know of that takes multiple cords have large motor cord and three floats.

Attachments

• DD74E985-87EB-488B-9EF6-8BD905E600CC.jpeg
    DD74E985-87EB-488B-9EF6-8BD905E600CC.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 49

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
McMaster has quite a selection of 'multi cord grips' https://www.mcmaster.com/cord-grips/wet-location-multi-cord-grips-7/

I believe somewhere else I saw a version with a blank gasket that you can customize.

Then there are the heat shrink sealed multi cord grips which all have the same size holes but a wide range of diameters in each hole

They have other designs if you search for cord grips that look even more diameter flexible but have different body shapes

Jon

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If that bushing has standard pipe thread, how about reducing it down to 3/4" or 1/2"?

Or remove it and use reducing washers, and perhaps a close nipple, at an available connector size.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
If that bushing has standard pipe thread, how about reducing it down to 3/4" or 1/2"?

Or remove it and use reducing washers, and perhaps a close nipple, at an available connector size.
I stoped by and took cable measurements and noticed the pipe has 1 1/2 inner threads. Finding a Cord grip for this is looking harder might put a larger j-box in there like most septic tanks I deal with have. I don't see a problem with it just a lot more work considering all these cords would reach my control panel if I could just find a cord grip.
This heat-shrink-cord-grips would work great if I could find one that Fits. They look fun to play with
Thank you guys for the ideas

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Fantastic, thanks for coming back with the info.

I found a different close hit, which ended up being useful to me at work:
In this series they have split grips and plugs which can be applied to cables that have already been terminated...but the plug version was too small for your application. It looks like the sealcon one in single hole version can take up to 32mm, so you should be able to fit your three wires.

Let us know how it goes.

-Jon

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Fantastic, thanks for coming back with the info.

I found a different close hit, which ended up being useful to me at work:
In this series they have split grips and plugs which can be applied to cables that have already been terminated...but the plug version was too small for your application. It looks like the sealcon one in single hole version can take up to 32mm, so you should be able to fit your three wires.

They have instructions for drilling on page 23 of the sealcon catalog:

Let us know how it goes.

-Jon

rainwater01

Occupation
Electrician
Another option would be to put a junction box in there using single cord grips to get the cords into the box but not splice the cords and run them up to the control box. Basically just using the box to transition to the larger conduit.

I like the solution you found though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.