Sensitive Subj - Low Volt wants Resid License

Status
Not open for further replies.

automaton

Hello Instructors and Mentors

I have a question that becomes sensitive subject matter here. I am a Journeyman on the Limited Energy or Low Voltage side. I have learned electrical in my line of work to the point that I feel very comfortable working with it and rather enjoy it. I am interested in obtaining a Residential Electrical License merely so I could do small projects on my own here and there. I am not really interested in becoming a fulltime commercial electrician, just more residential so I can add receptacles, install lights, and various small projects for home automation purposes. I reside in MI area and am an active member of IBEW. My local seems to be detering me from steering the residential direction because alot of our local IBEW residential electricians are hurting for work right now.

So my question is the following: How would one in my situation go about finding residential electrical licensing teachers and tests? I am very serious about this and am trying to get input from all perspectives.

Thank you for your input on this matter.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: Sensitive Subj - Low Volt wants Resid License

I'm puzzled. Do you have residential experience?

For example, I have learned auto mechanics off and on, throughout my travels. But I don't dare consider myself productive at playing auto mechanic. I wouldn't go after an ASE certification unless I had some real experience, and would be able to productively contribute to my own or other's business.

Taking a class to learn residential wiring just seems foreign to me. But there's more than one way to skin a cat, that's for sure.

automaton

Yes I do, however it was under someone else?s company and a non-union job. I am an IBEW Journeyman for Limited Energy, which means I am more of a networking, communications, security/fire systems, low voltage Technician. I have experience with electrical on residential dwellings, just not large scale commercial electric and live lines. There was a person that trained me, however I can no longer locate him. Recently, I have had many people asking me to help them out on smaller home projects. My wife and friends are urging me to start a small business, which I am not exactly comfortable with doing as of yet. I feel if I am going to do this kind of work, be it minimal, I should carry the appropriate licensing though. I have done a few jobs, purely for the fact that some people were hiring "handy man" types that had no knowledge of the codes regarding single-family dwellings. For instance, I was at a friend?s house that hired someone to build a new bathroom. The general contractor was planning to do the work himself. He was installing a bathtub with heater and blower, and a couple other things such as light, fan, and gfci. I was talking to him to get an idea of what he was planning to do. He said he was going to place an outlet under the tub on floor facing upward, install a regular light over shower zone, and a gfci receptacle attached to an existing house circuit which was ungrounded and was more or less borrowed from adjacent room. I quickly informed the homeowner to not utilize him for electric that everything he was planning to do was the exact opposite of codes. Of course they then promptly asked me if I could do it. Since then, he has managed to flood their house and damage every wall. They are just beside themselves. I wish I knew how to plumb and drywall too!

Anyhow, this is my situation. I know many may be hard on me asking such a question, but it is a sincere question. I am not interested in becoming a fulltime electrician, but I am thinking that being a residential electrician may be beneficial for future plans if I decide to start a business.

southernboys

Well in my area to pull permits you have to work 4 years as an apprentice just to take your jmans test. Then you have to work 3 more years to take your masters. However it used to be pay $25 to the state and you could be an ec. Complete joke. So all my time working un

pierre

Automaton
Becoming licensed and a contractor (whether or not a commercial or residential) is not as easy in most areas as it used to be.
You will need to have proof of working as an "electrician", usually in the form of a notorized letter or W2s form your former employer(s). Each area has different amounts of the minimum amount of time required. Then you will most likely have to take a test and pass ;)

Helping friends is a great quality - although you have great intentions, helping friends without having the proper credential may be hurting them in the long run. One reason is you have no business insurance, and if a problem occurs from your work, your friends are screwed.

If you really want to help friends and do electrical work, follow procedures and get your license.

automaton

Pierre,

Thank you for the input. What you stated about my friends is precisely the reason I would like to go about it the right way. I do indeed desire to go get my license and follow proper procedures. I am a stickler about following codes and requirements, probably to a fault. I would rather be overly safe then careless and sorry. I am attempting to find the information I need to go for the test, I just need to figure out whom to talk to regarding the pursuit of a license. I live in a county that is very difficult to get answers regarding this. If they need to look at W2's I will most likely have the hours needed. I have been doing this since 2001 in the union, before that I was installing Fire Alarm Systems for a non-union company... Once again, a load of codes there.

Thanks again.

stevearne

Hi Automation

The following is the licensing info I found (on this web site) for MI- try this for contact information to see what you need to do to test in MI. I do not see a Residential Contractor license, some states do. You may need a Master's in MI- check it out.

Michigan
Approved CEU Courses: None
State Board: Department of Labor and Economic Growth
Bureau of Construction Codes & Fire Safety
Electrical Division
P.O. Box 30254
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 241-9320 Fax: (517) 241-9308
www.michigan.gov/bccfs
Licensing Requirements: Journeyman
Requirements: 8,000 hours experience (not less than 4 yrs.) under supervision of a licensed Journeyman or Master, and notarized documentation.
Exam By: Bureau of Construction Codes
Passing Grade: 75%
Exam Hours: 2.5
License Fee: $20
Exam Fee: $25
Renewal fee: $20
No. Times Given: 6 times per year

Master
Requirements: 2 yrs. as a Journeyman plus 4,000 hours under a Master (no less than 2 yrs.)
Exam By: Bureau of Construction Codes
Passing Grade: 75%
Exam Hours: 3
License Fee: $25
Exam Fee: $25
Renewal fee: $25
No. Times Given: 6 times per year
Continuing Education Requirements: 15 hours per Code cycle
Renewal: December 31
Renewal Year: Annually
Other Licenses: Electrical Contractor, Sign Specialty Contractor, Fire Alarm Specialty Tech., Sign Specialty Tech., Fire Alarm Contractor
NEC Adoption Dates: 2002 NEC adopted Feb. 29, 2004
Next Projected NEC Adoption Date: 2005 NEC - February 2007
Notes: Updated: May, 2005
Reciprocates: None
---------------------------
For study material, here are my recommendations. (I am predjudiced)
For a chapter by chapter study of the NEC (chapter 1-4) , use Mike Holt's Understanding the NEC Vol. 1 -- Vol.2 covers NEC chapters 5 - 8

For math and Theory review and code calculations as well as many practice exams, use Mike Holt's Exam Prep book.

Good luck on your licensing

kottd

In Michigan we do not have a separate
residential license. To apply to take the journeyman license test you must be a registered APPRENTICE working in the electrical field for a minimum of 4 years, under a legal company ( has to have a master of record for the company) and you have to be doing electrical installation, repair or maintenance of electrical equipment, not just one part of our field (low voltage). Putting a plug here and a switch there is something you do at your own home. The liability of doing what your saying is great. No company can give you liability insurance unless your a legal contractor, not just a journeyman electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.