sealing holes in walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
This is a new one on me. Among other things, we occasionally install control panels and other equipment inside of prefabricated huts that are then shipped on site ready to be set in place and power run to it.

The latest one came in with siding that is not flat. It is ridged. Normally it is flat and we can route conduit through it and seal it pretty easily.

The hut we are now working on has two 6x12 inch rectangular cutouts framed in sheet metal for some field installed conduit. We have to put some stuff on the outside so I thought we could do something similar for our conduits. Can we just fill in the excess space around the conduit with duct seal? That just seems like it is kind of ugly.

What is the most common way to do this and make it weather tight and attractive, or at least not downright ugly?

matt902

A product made by ROXTEC does exactly what you want.It is a gland that is square on the outside and round in the inside.It is used in ship building.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I've used duct seal and it comes out alright. If you are using LBs or even better SLBs you can put a reducing washer between the siding and the conduit body kinda like those chrome escutcheons you see on sink pipes.

I am having a hard time visualizing that. Got a picture by any chance?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have used those. I think it would be difficult to get the hole perfect.

Page 70 of their catalog has an illustration of it's use on a corrugated building panel. I don't see why you have to get the hole perfect.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am having a hard time visualizing that. Got a picture by any chance?
No pics on file.

Let's say you are using 3/4 inch conduit.....Put a 1X3/4" reducing washer on the 3/4" fitting before you thread it into a SLB. When you make it all up the washer covers the slop from the hole that you drill in the siding.

If this still does not make sense I'll do a mock up and take a picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.