SE cable underground

dougp

New User
Occupation
Electrician
I have a #2 SER cable, the individual conductors insulation are marked with Thhn-thwn, this means I can install them in conduit underground correct?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I have a #2 SER cable, the individual conductors insulation are marked with Thhn-thwn, this means I can install them in conduit underground correct?
You can run SER in conduit. But it cannot be buried in or out of conduit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Isn't there a bare equipment grounding conductor. An aluminum conductor cannot be installed underground without a jacket or insulation.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since it's THHN/THWN I'm assuming that it's copper? Cannot be underground regardless of conductor type.

338.12 Uses Not Permitted. 338.12(A) Service-Entrance Cable.
Service-entrance cable (SE) shall not be used under the following conditions or in the following locations:
(1) Where subject to physical damage unless protected in accordance with 230.50(B)
(2) Underground with or without a raceway

I was going to say it has always been XHHW but I bid a job last week and saw a box full of THHN SER 4/0 - 2/0. Mfd. 2022.
Yeah I have seen both. The southwire spec sheet says:

"Conductors. Individual Conductors Rated XHHW or THHN/THWN Jacket and Inner Conductors are Sunlight Resistant."

I wonder if every Monday the guys at the plant flip a coin to see what they're going to make the inners out of that week. 🪙