Romex Wet Inside Outer Insulation!? Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
One more opinion (of course).....NEMA National Electrical Manufacturers Association and the manufacturer recommend not using it. They either make it, or regulate those who do, so any failure makes them look bad, plus they sell the stuff. Buy more, sell more. No...I'm not saying they're unethical, but "butt covering" makes sense when your product comes into question as the culprit in a fire or some other nasty.

As a consumer, if it really doesn't make a difference in the long term and stripping it back reveals good insulation and uncorroded conductors, does it make sense to re-pull it with new and charge the customer or eat the cost? Does copper oxidation or sheath moisture really degrade the ampacity or voltage rating of a conductor? Copper oxide is conductive as opposed to aluminum, which is not. Screaming at Lowe's about storage is a great idea. Ripping it out or rejecting it as an inspector, in my opinion, is not. If it was in my house, I'd use every inch and sleep fine at night. Just my totally unbiased, calm, thoughtful opinion, though.:)

kwired

Electron manager
Not too worried about it myself, the insulation though not marked is likely water resistant, the bare EGC, we bury bare grounding electrode conductors all the time. I have also seen some 1940's or 50's direct bury underground feeds that used bare copper for grounded conductor and they were still in good shape 60-70 years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.