Rhode Island § 5-6-10. Limited-premises certificate/license. (Class C electrical license).

dougyehle2000

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Hi folks,
I am a Journeyman electrician in Rhode Island. My employer has asked me if I would consider being the holder of their Rhode Island § 5-6-10. Limited-premises certificate/license. (Class C electrical license).
The regulation of this license is as follows:
A Certificate C shall be issued to the department of transportation, state airport corporation, and manufacturing and industrial firms that regularly employ one or more Class B or Class M journeyperson electricians for installation and when the work performed by those individuals is limited to maintenance and repair of electrical wiring, devices, appliances, and equipment on the premises owned or occupied by the applicant. The application must be made by a responsible officer of the firm and contain a description of the premises within which work is to be done under the permit. All work must meet electrical and municipal codes and must be permitted accordingly by the municipality.
My place of work is a manufacturing facility with multiple shifts. I am currently the only person considered qualified to do electrical work according to the State of Rhode Island by having an active license. There may be individuals here who might perform electrical work that are not properly licensed as directed by their superiors.
Obviously I have some concerns.
Are there any professional, legal, liability or compensation aspects that I should consider?
I look forward to any insight or recommendations that you will share.

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I’d probably talk to a lawyer, I’d have the company foot the bill for it too. Then I would ask for more money. Seems like you would be on the hook for all work done in that place, that means all of the unlicensed dudes work. I’ve never done in house maintenance so take this with a grain of salt and hopefully someone else will chime in. Sounds like maybe the facility needs an actual electrical department which you could be in charge of, that way you can oversee all the work going on since you would likely be held accountable. Find a way to turn these guys into apprentices and have the company send them to school. I’m from RI originally, but in your situation I don’t know what it would take to have an apprentice, you may need a masters license and if you can pass that test I would be asking for another raise.

dougyehle2000

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I’d probably talk to a lawyer, I’d have the company foot the bill for it too. Then I would ask for more money. Seems like you would be on the hook for all work done in that place, that means all of the unlicensed dudes work. I’ve never done in house maintenance so take this with a grain of salt and hopefully someone else will chime in. Sounds like maybe the facility needs an actual electrical department which you could be in charge of, that way you can oversee all the work going on since you would likely be held accountable. Find a way to turn these guys into apprentices and have the company send them to school. I’m from RI originally, but in your situation I don’t know what it would take to have an apprentice, you may need a masters license and if you can pass that test I would be asking for another raise.
Thanks for your advice and recommendations Choice

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know there’s a lot of in house industrial guys on here, as well people with knowledge of qualifying a company/other legal stuff. I’m surprised no one else chimed in. I’m by no means an expert on this subject. Maybe try reposting with a more generic title? I clicked it because I’m from RI so curiosity got me. “Qualifying electrician for manufacturing plant” or maybe something along those lines might get more traffic. Might not get you RI specific info but maybe someone in a similar position will see it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Have they offered you any compensation? Are you liable for what the other shift does? Definitely talk with a lawyer and see what the outlook is for you from the business side.