Residential Underground Circuit to Greenhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
A residential customer has a small 10ft x 12ft greenhouse and he would like a quad receptacle installed inside it. It is sitting on crushed stone and cement blocks like a storage shed.
The greenhouse is not used like a traditional greenhouse. He is an artist and uses it for making plaster molds. During most of the year, including winter, the heat generated from the greenhouse is fine for his needs. However, he would like the circuit and receptacle for a small plug-in heater and a plug-in LED light.
My plan is a 12 inch+ deep trench (60 feet long), and 12/2 UF cable from the main service panel to the greenhouse. The UF circuit will be powered from a 20A GFI breaker and be sleeved in 3/4" PVC at the point of entry to the house a few feet in the trench, up a 90 sweep into an LB then sleeved into the basement, and PVC in the trench a few feet under the greenhouse to a 90 sweep, coming up through the floor along side an interior 4x4 for mounting the receptacle.
Do I need a disconnect such as a single pole 20A toggle switch inside the green house? Does the switch and the quad receptacle box and cover need to be weatherproof or is a standard 1900 4x4 ok? I'm looking at this like a glass shed. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. I would run a 12-3 cable for twice the available power with the same labor.
2. Yes, a toggle switch or other simple disconnect should be included.
3. I would use PVC box(es) and decide on the w/p cover(s) later.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
1. I would run a 12-3 cable for twice the available power with the same labor.
2. Yes, a toggle switch or other simple disconnect should be included.
3. I would use PVC box(es) and decide on the w/p cover(s) later.
Thank you. Great idea using PVC boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.