Residential Service with Switchboard Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

new_ee

I'm doing an 80 unit apartment building. I have 3 meter stacks on 3 different floors (2nd, 3rd, and 4th of a 4 floor building) due to space limitations (had no space to put all the meters together).

Anyway I have done my calculations for the 3 separate meter stacks and used the demand factors in table 230.32. I came up with the following loads:

Meter Stack 1 = 1069 A w/30 units
Meter Stack 2 = 1079 A w/30 units
Meter Stack 3 = 857 A w/20 units

total = 3004 A

I want to use a switchboard on the first floor w/3 breakers in it to serve the three meter stacks (the house loads will be on another service lateral).

Do I add the total of these three meter stack loads to get the bus rating of the switchboard? Or can I use a the total load of the three meters stacks (before applying any demand from table 230.32) and apply a greater demand factor (80 units total instead of the separate calculations with the 30, 30, and 20 units)?

I will try to make this a little more clear:

If I add the the three meter stacks with the 220.32 demands applied I have 3004A and I would need a 3500A bus.

Now, if I took the totals before applying any 220.32 demand factors on the separate meter stacks I would have:

8763.88 A total with 80 units I would apply a 23% demand factor based on 220.32. The total load would then be 2016 A.

So the bus would only have to be rated to handle the 2016 A or a 2500 A bus.

Now heres my problem with doing it this way:

Meter Stack 1 = 1069 A and would need a 1200A breaker on the switchboard
Meter Stack 2 = 1079 A and would need a 1200A breaker on the switchboard
Meter Stack 3 = 857 A and would need a 1000A breaker on the switchboard

Now a 2500A bus switchboard has breakers totaling 3400A. Is this acceptable?

Also, would this arrangement be considered 3 mains? or 3 branch devices?

The number of overcurrent devices is not the factor in your service, your calculations are.

The explanation given would say that the service is a 3 main disconnect service, that supplies 3 sets of feeders (the conductors installed to the meter banks/including the meter disconnects are considered feeders).

bob

Section 220 allows you to use reduction factors for ranges, dryers
and water heaters. A/C units are at 100%. You can combine the 80 units
when using these factors. Lighting can also be reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.