Residential range hoods

nizak

Do most here that do residential work take care of the wiring for the fresh air intake for hoods over 400 CFM?

-power damper
- 120/ 24V xmfr
- etc.

kwired

Electron manager
Never encountered one in a dwelling with that kind of air flow. But would assume I need to wire it up if they had one. If it is on job that is being inspected I would be the one that receives correction notices and has to pay any reinspection fees if there were any code violations, unless whoever did it was also licensed and filed their own permit for their portion of the job or I could convince inspector who was responsible and let him go after them for not filing permit or even possibly not being licensed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We see many of them but the HVAC guy usually sets it up and we just need to leave them a feed. Some are actually run thru the air handler somehow.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What do you do when there's no HVAC guy like if you're doing a kitchen renovation? Are these air intake units so complicated that a sparky cannot figure it out?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
No HVAC guy? Then they have to get one. Many times it involves duct work and fresh air/louver installation. Sometimes it integrates with the A/C air handler. No, not complicated if you do that kind of work.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The hvac guy is responsible for the hood venting and installation.
I've installed many range hoods, vented through the attic, through the wall, through the roof, etc. not rocket science. I've yet to install a fresh air intake so I was just wondering how complicated it is.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It depends.

As Hal said, HVAC guys duct from a louver in the outside into the return air.

I drop an 18/3 stat wire from the hood to the furnace for that install, and it uses a current sensor on the hood power.

I installed a makeup air in an attic, which came with a 10 KW electric box heater. Basically a furnace. It was very involved. Took me about a day and a half

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I'm curious about those who say they provide power for a damper. Is that 120 volt power?

Every damper I've wired is 12 volt, and I've never wired one that got installed by the HVAC contractor, only when I installed