Residential LAN tester????

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanert

Hello,

I am looking for a low end LAN tester for Residential work. Mostly wanting to make sure all pairs are punched down correctly and no open conductors. After looking around, there seems to be quite a few out there. I have worked with a 7000 dollar comscope/HP but don't think I need anything to that caliber. Anybody have any suggestions or are using a particular product that seems to mesh in the residential market? I wonder how many guys out there don't even test there small little patch panel and LAN systems in residential work?

highkvoltage

Re: Residential LAN tester????

You can buy a inexpensive unit for around $150 and will come with modules that you can plug in so you can test your pairing on several lines at your rack. Saves a lot of time. Most of these tester will test standard telecom cable, cat 3, cat 5 and cat 6. Will test polarity and pairing.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Check Home Depot for the $40 GB LAN Tracer. Haven't had much chance to use it on data jacks, but I have once, and it worked pretty good. Grounded it on a nearby outlet and it toned loud and strong.

Edit: Don't know how much good that'll do you for checking for open conductors, never mind. :)

[ January 04, 2005, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

midget

Hey George...question for ya...do they teach Phone/Date stuff in the apprenticeship? What about fire/security alarm stuff, etc?

hurk27

Here is a low cost one that will do the job you want:
LAN Tester with Remote
e60745.jpg

Just $49.00

But for more deeper testing you need a sweeper to test the max speed the cable is capable of with terminations done. Which is expensive

[ January 04, 2005, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

eswets

http://www.mytoolstore.com/ideal/ide07-02.html
I have this one, Ideal link master. Lots of different stuff. 8 transmitters, will do coax, cat 5, and even a tone for locating. Tells you of miswires (cat 5) and even length on you wires. The newer one have a hub blink. works great and this site has the cheapest price.

Status
Not open for further replies.