residential fuse blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsHot

Got a trouble call from a customer tonight. She has a old "fused" panel. The concern is on one branch circuit she had blown a fuse. She said she removed the couple of lamps on the circuit, and then later blew 2 more fuses!!:-? She finished in saying that the 5th fuse over the last 2 days is now holding. Witha few items on the circuit.??? I guess I need to get over tomorrow and do a little investigation. Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated!! Time to suggest a service upgrade.:smile:

Dwayne51

When you go over make sure you check the tightness of all the wires that are connected to each fuse. I have found that alot of the problems can be eliminated by the tighting of the wire on the fuse.

480sparky

When you go over make sure you check the tightness of all the wires that are connected to each fuse. I have found that alot of the problems can be eliminated by the tighting of the wire on the fuse.

Either that, or take off the 3-4 wires that seem to accumulate under the terminals of fuse boxes (due to lack of circuits available) and pigtail them.

480sparky

If you find there's a short circuit, use a light bulb to track it down.
flair.gif

mivey

and the screw behind the fuse.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Would you do the same if you had a breaker with a short circuit, remove the branch wire and install a pig tail with a light between your breaker and branch wire?
Done it many times. One person watches the bulb with 2-way radios or cellphones while the other plays with suspected problem circuit.

mivey

Done it many times. One person watches the bulb with 2-way radios or cellphones while the other plays with suspected problem circuit.
Absolutely. Works like a charm. Keep a stock of 230 volt bulbs, rubber sockets, and ballast wire just for test lamp use.
remember to pull the main fuses before prying the melted down penny from the fuse socket....
Or you can find the insulating washer behind the screw has fallen apart.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
with all these wonderful "electrical" ideas, don't forget one major element.... the homewoner.. what has she purchased lately (electrical appliance/gadget) or relocated.
It means little to them that they took the portable space heater from the
bathroom to the living room because they were chilled. That has nothing to do with the problem as it "just plugs in anyway", or "my son did drive some nails over there for me to hang this rack".
The "human element" can be a major factor in mysterious fuses blowing or breaker tripping.
My first step is usually a little conversation about "whats different"

480sparky

I use two bulbs, one installed in the 'trouble' circuit, and the other between the breaker or fuse and ground. If the two are the same brightness, there's still a short. If the 'problem' circuit bulb dims or goes out, then the problem is solved.

Absolutely. Works like a charm. Keep a stock of 230 volt bulbs, rubber sockets, and ballast wire just for test lamp use.
Or you can find the insulating washer behind the screw has fallen apart.

Why 230v bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.