Residential Controls Options

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Hi,
I'm looking to get into residential lighting design and control work, but I really don't know where to start in terms of brands/tech.
My typ use case is to wire a 2-4k sqft home with various zones and scenes per zone, with wall switches that can swap scenes.

I do not want anything that's wireless primarily.
I do not want any system that locks me into using some Approved Dealer to set up the system or run maintenance.
I do not want any system dependent on a cloud or phone app - it must be software that's managed purely locally at the control box.
I do not want some boutique $300 per dimmer system that's out of budget for most of my clientele (mid to upper mid class).
I do want something fairly reliable with minimal callbacks or finicky issues (flickering, poor quality wall controls, etc), so there is "too cheap" of course.

What are my options, which would you consider best given the above? I'm willing to learn any system, it doesn't need to be tied to a brand. I'm just a bit lost.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
This isn't necessarily for entire home lighting either.
Probably more important are solutions for a one-off room like a kitchen or living room also, where I might have say 10-15 fixtures and a couple wall switches, but still want to be able to set a few scenes and control them through the switches.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
These are lofty expectations. Wired systems will be Lutron homeworks, Vantage, Crestron, Control4, etc, and it’s going to require you to be a dealer with a minimum buy in and annual sales.

Wireless technology today is solid. I’m using Legrand Adorne Zigbee devices in my house paired to Home Assistant on a raspberry pi and it has worked flawlessly since setting it up almost 3 years ago. I’ve got probably 25+ wall switch devices, and about 50 Philips Hue lamps in my setup. Although all of my programming and setup is in home assistant, I use Apple HomeKit as the front end control, and we have Apple TV’s and HomePods for voice control. You can use the home assistant app as well and customize the interface to your liking .

Your use-case really lends itself to Lutron RA3, but I’d also recommend you look into Home Assistant and find a compatible device that suits your needs. The programming options in home assistant are near endless and it’s not cloud-dependent.

Another option to consider is partnering with a local integrator that can be your dealer for a control system.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Well I can get 6x Caseta dimmers and a remote scene switch for just about $500 from my supplier. Stick the dimmers in a closet somewhere and wire from there, remote switch controls them all.
Yes, there's a remote, but trying to figure out a fully wired solution is adding complications to an already difficult selection process.

I spent probably a full day trying to find a better solution, I couldn't. There's brands at lower MSRP than Lutron, but with the supplier discount it's not much difference, and I'll trust Lutron more having worked with them before on big jobs.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Well I can get 6x Caseta dimmers and a remote scene switch for just about $500 from my supplier. Stick the dimmers in a closet somewhere and wire from there, remote switch controls them all.
Yes, there's a remote, but trying to figure out a fully wired solution is adding complications to an already difficult selection process.

I spent probably a full day trying to find a better solution, I couldn't. There's brands at lower MSRP than Lutron, but with the supplier discount it's not much difference, and I'll trust Lutron more having worked with them before on big jobs.
Been there, already done that. My cousin didn’t want to see any switches, so I put banks of Cassetta switches in the pantry. He hides the remotes under the countertops and bookshelves. More money than he’s got sense! Got a couple thousand in switches and remotes. Inspector didn’t care.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

That is the simplest way to do it.

As for price objection, you are selling simplicity and aesthetic. Do you want a 12" long wall box Mrs Customer, or do you want one button here that doesn't detract from your beautiful spring arrangement on the table, or that lovely framed photo of your family? So my very basic spiel on controls was, "can I show you something that could make using your home a little easier, possibly even fun, and also add to the aesthetic and value?" If someone objects to technology, I let it go. It can easily turn into an endless source of frustration in their sanctuary and we can't serve people if we're making their life difficult.

If you really want to cobble together your own "wired" system, you can look into KNX relays with Home Assistant. I just don't think the level of effort required is going to be worth it unless you're doing it solely as a super enthusiast. I use some zigbee based relays with mechanical switches because my wife has some tactile aversion to the short-throw push of a most smart switches, and to anyone else it's just a normal light switch. In her defense, it does take some getting used to a push-button switch after years of flipping a snap or paddle switch.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Have you considered a relay panel? There are some that are strictly hardwired others that offer hard wire or wireless switching built into one unit giving options to do either.
A couple of reputable brands are Leviton Green Max and Legrand Wattstopper. All utilize a LV (12-24V) momentary contactor switch.

Use to use the GE Relay panel with the RG-8 Relay. but that is no longer made but it was a good option as it allowed multipoint control and all light master control point.