Residential Column/Lights not coming on

Status
Not open for further replies.

bchhabra

New User
Occupation
Engineer
Hi - A friend called me over to check why the lights on his driveway entry posts were not coming on when he changed the bulbs. Both fixtures went out at the same time and he assumed it was the bulbs - changed them but no luck. I checked the Voltage and read 30V - it's a regular 120V AC circuit but only getting 30V (AC) at the fixture. The lights are part of a run that also includes two other shrub lights earlier in the run around a circle in the driveway and those two shrub lights are on. The lights are on a 30 year old Intermatic mechanical timer right after the breaker box inside. The timer looks to be OK because it is also feeding the front house lights and when it is mechanically tripped on the front house lights come on fine. He is about 30 min away so I only want to go over once I can get an idea of what could be causing this and how to correct it. What could be possibel causes and what would you recommend as next troubleshooting steps?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

Status
Not open for further replies.