Residential All-In-One with an Automatic Transfer Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJFAB

I am looking on some ideas, and after scouring the WWW I am coming up dry.

Around here, nearly all homes are built using 200A all-in-ine meter base/loadcenters. Has anyone managed to connect an existing all-in-one to an ATS?

Every example I can find, and the units that I have worked on previously, have all used a separate meter base, or SES with a main switch, that we used to supply the utility side of the ATS.

But I am trying to figure out a way to get the utility power from the load side of the all-in-ones 200A main, train it to the utility side of the ATS, then train the load side of the ATS back to the all-in-ones loadcenter bussing.

Has anyone done this?

Any ideas on a retrofit panel to accomplish this?

I'd really like to be able to add a standby genset/ATS without having to also rip out the entire existing service panel, add a new metered main and separate sub panel as well, as this would add a considerable cost, as well as extensive drywall/stucco repairs to the project.

Someone suggested removing the connection between the 200A main and the buss, then wire from the breaker to the transfer switch, and from the transfer switch to added-on lugs or a lug adapter on the buss. I'm not sure that this is a great idea, as I am concerned with possibly affecting the UL rating and most of these panels are pretty cramped inside.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have not done it but I guess it will depend on how it is setup. You can pull the load side out of the all in one and then feed in and out of the transfer switch. You may need a trough or possibly just a bit of reroutng

Status
Not open for further replies.