required circuits ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bthielen

Re: required circuits ???

Thanks, Charlie. I could see that as a contractor some codes require what seem like unnecessary extra work. As you suggest, this will not likely be used as it is intended due primarily to its location but, to satisfy the requirements of the code it is necessary. From a contractor's point of view, it is not all bad because the cost is worked into the project. From a home-owner's point of view it is very much unnecessary expense. At least it would not be a totally useless receptacle since it could still be used for other purposes.

Thanks,

Bob

iwire

Staff member

I would say the garage would be a good place, if there is a garage. My second choice would be a utility room, if there is one of them. :)
Bryan please do not be offended, you suggest randomly placing an outlet to meet a code requirement for a laundry that does not exist? :D

I am sorry but things like this seem to prove what Roger has told me.

Common Sense is Dead. :D

bphgravity

Common What?

I didnt suggest I was trying to place the outlet in a location that may be used in the future for laundry, I was simply answering the question as to where a good place would be to add the circuit. A garage and a utility room is a great place for an additional dedicated 20-ampere circuit.
Besides, if laundry was added to the occupancy later down the line, Im sure they wouldnt be placed in the living room or kitchen. :eek:

iwire

Staff member

But Bryan if it is the laundry circuit it must be in the laundry area and have no other outlets. :)

[ May 03, 2004, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

chicar

I would have to agree with iwire. For it to be considered a laundry room,I would need to see water supply and drain lines. Then I know where to install my receptacle. If none exists, none is needed. ;)

bphgravity

So mean to tell me if I were to install a 20-ampere circuit to an outlet in the garage and call it "laudry", you would fail it on the bases of 210.52(F). The section is titled "Laundry Areas", but the code says for the laudry, not laundry area. Common sense you asked? :eek:

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
So mean to tell me if I were to install a 20-ampere circuit to an outlet in the garage and call it "laudry", you would fail it on the bases of 210.52(F). The section is titled "Laundry Areas", but the code says for the laudry, not laundry area. Common sense you asked? :eek:
Bryan I would not fail you I also have a hard time believing any inspector would fail a house for no laundry circuit when no plumbing connections for that exist.

I would guess that the CMPs never thought that someone would not have a laundry.

I mean really, even if you never plan on doing laundry you would think you would have one "just in case". :D

Certainly not a lifestyle I will be living. :D

Addex D example D1a is one of many of the examples in the back of the code book that gives you examples of this exact question. In this particular example based on a 1500 sq foot dwelling, they calculated the minimum number of branch circuits required as 7 total. Remember this is the minimum, you may add more obviously.

If the question was what is the minimum number of circuits required to be included in a residential service calculation, that would be 3, small appliance and laundry. The bathroom is not counted for service calculations.

If the question was what is the minimum number of general purpose circuits required for a dwelling, you would have to know the square footage, multiply it by three and divide the answer by 120 volts.

The question as originally posted is to vague, more information must be given to be a valid question.

pierre

Paul
Your statement that the bathroom is not necessary as one of the required circuits, because it is not necessary as a 'load' calculation is in Art 220 - calculations. The minimum branch circuit requirements are found in Art 210 - which does require the bathroom circuit as one of the minimum required.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.