required circuits ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundowner

On a recent practice exam I was asked how many branch circuits are required for a single family dwelling. I think the instructor said their are only 4 required, I did'nt have a chance to verify the correct answer...until now. Any of you guys know this one.

My thinking is that there are 5, even though 220.11 says 4. (does this mean I can start wiring homes with no provision for smoke detectors/alarms, ((I know better)) :confused:

rap

Re: required circuits ???

i think its only 4 2 small appliance branch circuits . 1 general lighting and 1 bathroom. and yes you do not have to provide power for smoke alarms as long as there hard wired they don't have to be 110 volts.

stars13bars2

I have seen this question asked as how many 20 amp circuits are required. The answer to this one is four; two small appliance, laundry, and bathroom. The others can be of the 15 amp variety.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Beyond the 20 amp required circuits,sq. footage is needed to determine min. needed.

bphgravity

I have a homeowner that is building a custom home with no provisions for a laundry room or facilities. How do I comply with the requirement of 210.52(F)? The code implies that every dwelling will have laundry areas, but as my question above exhibits, that it is not always the case. :confused:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Since there is no formal discription of "laundry area", and unless there was plumbing installed for a "laundry area", we could install a dedicated 20 amp circuit and receptacle to just about any location in the home and label it laundry.

This would meet the requirement of 210.52(F)

Is there a plumbing requirement for a "laundry"
connection?

Roger

[ April 28, 2004, 07:32 AM: Message edited by: roger ]

B

bthielen

I don't have a code book handy but doesn't it say that one 20 amp branch circuit must be provided to serve "the" laundry circuit and not "a" laundry circuit? This would imply that it is only necessary if there are provisions for a laundry circuit. Can't provide for a circuit that does not exist.

Bob

bphgravity

I suppose you could make that arguement, but with three specific sections of the code, (210.11(C)(2), 210.52(F), 220.16(B)) it sure seems like the code really wants a laudry circuit. ;)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry. Exception No. 2: In other than one-family dwellings where laundry facilities are not to be installed or permitted, a laundry receptacle shall not be required.
This tells me that a single family dwelling unit does not have an option to omit the laundry circuit. The homeowner need not buy any laundry machines, but we have to provide the circuit.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Originally posted by luke warmwater: The front and rear receptacles are taken into consideration in the general lighting load.
That is how their load gets added into the amount of power needed from the utility. But it does not say what circuit(s) are to give them power.
Originally posted by ryan_618:
1. Bathroom(s)
2. Laundry
3/4. Small appliance
5. Additional circuit required since 1-4 can have no other outlets.
If we can?t put general lighting (e.g., the bedroom or den) on any of the first four circuits, then we have to put in a fifth. Otherwise, the homeowner will be dissatisfied. In this, I agree with Ryan.

That notwithstanding, the exam question asks how many circuits are required by the NEC. The NEC names the first four, and does not name any other as a ?required? circuit. So I suppose that (1) The correct answer to the exam question must be ?4,? and (2) It?s a bad question. Here is why I say that:
210.11 Branch Circuits Required.
Branch circuits for lighting and for appliances, including motor-operated appliances, shall be provided to supply the loads computed in accordance with 220.3. In addition, branch circuits shall be provided for . . . dwelling unit loads as specified in 210.11(C).
Without naming any specific circuits, this states that there must be at least one branch circuit for lighting. And as I said earlier, and as Ryan said first, this means that there must be at least five total circuits.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

There has to be a circuit to be clean !!!!!!!!

sundowner

It is questions like this that we as sparkys deal with every day. We always have the right answer, or can get it quickly through a network of other electricians, (such as this forum, which I am finding very valuable) Thats why the title Master Electrician carries the clout on the jobsite. I know I'll sure be proud when I have that title. Just gotta get throuogh questions like I mentioned in the start of this thread. This forum is helping. Keep up the high standard guys, It's not always mentioned but it is appreciated.

pierre

210.11 Branch Circuits Required.

Branch circuits for lighting and for appliances, including motor-operated appliances, shall be provided to supply the loads computed in accordance with 220.3 In addition, branch circuits shall be provided for specific loads not covered by 220.3 (such as a hottub)where required elsewhere in this Code and for dwelling unit loads as specificed in 210.11(C).
Qoute from the2002 NEC, parenthesis are mine.

210.11(A) and 210.11(C) provide the requirements for the minimum number of required circuits that are required.

Dwelling Unit. One or more rooms for the use of one or more persons as a housekeeping unit with space for eating, living, and sleeping, and permanent provisions for cooking and sanitation.

So a dwelling can be one room: Now (C) requires a minimum of 4 circuits and (A) for general lighting which includes receptacles, requires a minimum of at least 1 circuit, I would answer the question as 5 circuits.

What was the answer that the testing company responded with?

Pierre

B

bthielen

This tells me that a single family dwelling unit does not have an option to omit the laundry circuit. The homeowner need not buy any laundry machines, but we have to provide the circuit.
Where? In the living rooom, bedroom, kitchen, back porch? Where would you suggest the laundry circuit should be placed if there are absolutely no provisions in the building design for such appliances?

Not trying to be sarcastic, just curious.

Thanks,

Bob

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

If there were no obvious choices, then I would run a 20 amp circuit to a duplex receptacle in the kitchen, connect nothing else to it, and label it as ?laundry circuit.? I would mount it along a wall, near to one of the required ?along the wall? receptacle outlets. The homeowner is likely to use it for other purposes, but that is not our problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.