Replacing a eaton quad in a GE panel with an equivalent

Status
Not open for further replies.

ideal2545

New User
Occupation
Engineering
Hey All,

I've got a situation where I've got a GE Panel which takes the smaller wafer style THQP breakers and the larger THQL. The panel is full and I need to make some space, I'd like to dump this eaton quad breaker and replace it with an equivalent GE breaker (or more like set of breakers). GE makes 1" double pole THQP breakers, can I sandwich that inbetween two .5" THQP breakers and move over the handle tie to basically take place of this quadpole?

RAUqK.jpg

norcal

🤔🤔ge
Not sure if we can help you.
Is this for a job?

That Eaton breaker is certainly not designed to be installed in that GE panel. The rejection clips have been torn out, I'm certain.

GE twin breakers are peculiar to GE panels, because of that design, I am guessing that the spaces that that Eaton breaker was installed in was for full size breakers only, which is probably why it fit.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
GE twin breakers are peculiar to GE panels, because of that design, I am guessing that the spaces that that Eaton breaker was installed in was for full size breakers only, which is probably why it fit.
Yes, the Eaton breaker would fit in the space. And the breaker may even have indents to allow it to fit into the slim spaces of a GE panel. It's been awhile since I've looked at the bottom side of an Eaton quad breaker to know if it has those indents. I know the twins do.

The problem is, those Eaton quad breakers have a rejection clip which requires a notch in the bus. And GE panels don't use a bus with notches in it.

The rejection clips would have to be torn out of the breaker regardless of which type of space. Otherwise the bus would reject the breaker.

norcal

Yes, the Eaton breaker would fit in the space. And the breaker may even have indents to allow it to fit into the slim spaces of a GE panel. It's been awhile since I've looked at the bottom side of an Eaton quad breaker to know if it has those indents. I know the twins do.

The problem is, those Eaton quad breakers have a rejection clip which requires a notch in the bus. And GE panels don't use a bus with notches in it.

The rejection clips would have to be torn out of the breaker regardless of which type of space. Otherwise the bus would reject the breaker.

Does Eaton make a non-CTL quad breaker or is that limited to twin breakers? Any way it's looked at, that Eaton breaker does not belong there. I have a couple of ITE (Gould ITE to give a idea of their age) twin breakers that were modified to fit GE panels, the breaker cases were cut away to make them fit, have seen notches field hacked into a factory un-notched bus stab to allow a CTL twin to fit, so there is no shortage of people looking for ways to do it wrong.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Does Eaton make a non-CTL quad breaker or is that limited to twin breakers? Any way it's looked at, that Eaton breaker does not belong there.
I don't think they do, and I agree 👍

I have a couple of ITE (Gould ITE to give a idea of their age) twin breakers that were modified to fit GE panels, the breaker cases were cut away to make them fit, have seen notches field hacked into a factory un-notched bus stab to allow a CTL twin to fit, so there is no shortage of people looking for ways to do it wrong.
You're right about that one

Status
Not open for further replies.