Replacing 20 Amp Single Pole Switches with Motion Sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake5265

Hi guys,
I am a facility electrician that also does the typical smaller electrical construction projects in an office building and I have recieved a work order project to put together a quote to replace 55 single pole switches with motion sensors. Keep in mind that Lock Out Tag Out plays a huge factor here and the electrical panels are not labelled well. How Long should it take to replace these while using lock out tag out? Should I quote the remodel column under the Durand Labor Units? All advice will be taken. Thanks all.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Are these like typical light switches? As long as all you have to do is remove the existing light switches and replace them with the motion sensors, I would not expect it would take any longer than just replacing the existing light switch with another light switch.

However, some motion sensors seem to require a neutral. If no neutral was run to the light switch, you may be in for pulling some more wires.

Drake5265

All Im doing is replacing the current light switches with the push button motion sensors. The particular brand that I am using doesnt require a neutral. I wasn't sure if I had to add time for lock out tag out because it is required in the building that I work in. Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
On a job like that the lock out tag out could easily take 3 or 4 times as long as the actual switch replacement. Sometimes the easiest way is to do this type of work on the off hours and lock out the main for the lighting panel and do the work using a portable light source.

Status
Not open for further replies.