relocating a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

leggo

I was wondering in moving a residential panel, can I use the old panel as a junction box, taking all the guts out of it and putting a screw into the cover so that the hinged door does not hinge any more or do I need to place all the wires into an approved j-box and then splice them in there and take all the new circuits to the new panel location. Thanks!

bphgravity

Re: relocating a panel

I guess it depneds on a few factors. For one, the enclosure would have to have the proper space. This is going to require a pretty tricky box fill calcualtion. You will also have to make appropriate splices and make proper bonding to the enclosure.

The cover issue should be left up to the opinion of the AHJ. The intended purpose of a panelboard enclosure is certainly not for the purposes you are hoping to use it for, but your AHJ may feel it is equivalent in nature. :)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

There is no reason a panelboard enclosure can not be used as a junction box.

Panelboard enclosures are Cabinets and Cutout Boxes (UL category CYIV) and pull boxes are Boxes, Junction and Pull (UL category BGUZ)

Both of the categories are tested under UL Standard UL50 - Enclosures for Electrical Equipment. It seems that any specific enclosure which is in category CYIV has also met the more general BGUZ requirements

stew

I have also done this when doing residential panel upgrades where the new panel had to be relocated to meet new local location requirements. I always do what you have suggested and screw the cover shut on both corners and just us the panel without the guts as a J box. Never had a problem with an inspector on this perhaps because of the fact that the panel meets the criteria Jimm has suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.