Refurb on GE gear. (paint)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diverse

We are in the process of doing a refurb. on old electrical gear. The gear is GE and we want to repaint it. Does anyone know where we can purchase the correct paint for GE gear?

Contacted our Elect. Dist. with no luck.

Thank you for any help.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
We are in the process of doing a refurb. on old electrical gear. The gear is GE and we want to repaint it. Does anyone know where we can purchase the correct paint for GE gear?
Given the age (1950s) of the equipment, the existing paint will be enamel. To simplify, I'd stay with enamel, find a paint supply or shop that can charge spray cans and do a color match off of a sample. Carry in a painted part for the color match.

Otherwise, do the same color match process with a brush applied paint-in-a-can enamel.

templdl

Contacted our Elect. Dist. with no luck.

Thank you for any help.

Did you call GE which would be as reasonable thing to do? I know, it's more fun not to.
Get some sample paint and try out a panel. They probably used an oil based paint back then. You well have to degloss and cean the surface in order for the new paint to adhere.. Color my be custom but an ANSI 61 is common. Make sure the paint is compatable and adheres well.

Last edited:

zog

Depends on the type of "gear" and also if it is indoor or outdoor. GE used both lacquers and acrylics in the 50's (after primers are used) and the same colors can be found today, we have a catalog of most of these since we refurbish switchgear as a core part of our business. Have to have the right spray gun settings and coat thickness to make it look right too.

sii

If you can chip off a small amount of paint you can take it to a decent sized painting company, even if it's just a house painter. Many of them have a small machine that will read the color and give you the ratios to have an exact match mixed. I've done that a few times for different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.