Refrigerator receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTesla76

Occupation
Electrics
I have the 2014 Handbook. I was looking at 210.52(B)(1) and the commentary after exception 2. In the commentary it states that refrigeration equipment is exempt from the GFCI requirement of 210.8. 210.8(7) states that GFCI protection is required for receptacles within 6' from the edge of a sink. I was under the assumption that if a receptacle was located within 6' of a sink, the receptacle need GFCI protection. I understand commentary isn't enforceable, but I was just curious about these two seemingly conflicting sections. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

rudiseldb

Some states allow you to use a single plug in even if within 6'. Oregon specialty code (changes to the NEC) allows it if you label it "Not GFI protected. You might see if your state has done the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have the 2014 Handbook. I was looking at 210.52(B)(1) and the commentary after exception 2. In the commentary it states that refrigeration equipment is exempt from the GFCI requirement of 210.8. 210.8(7) states that GFCI protection is required for receptacles within 6' from the edge of a sink. I was under the assumption that if a receptacle was located within 6' of a sink, the receptacle need GFCI protection. I understand commentary isn't enforceable, but I was just curious about these two seemingly conflicting sections. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.
They are not in conflict. They are two separate rules. The commentary you ask about is only saying that a receptacle that has been installed behind a refrigerator is not a receptacle that is installed to serve the counter top. That commentary applies to 210.8(A)(6) and has nothing to do with the additional requirement of 210.8(A)(7).
(following 210.8(A)(6) ... A receptacle(s) installed behind a refrigerator is installed to supply that appliance, not the countertop, and is not covered by this
GFCI requirement. ...
The commentary following 210.8(A)(7) says:
... This GFCI requirement is not limited to receptacles serving countertop surfaces; rather, it covers all 125-V, 15- and 20-A receptacles within 6 feet of any point along the outside edge of the sink.

Vmadden

the is taken from the 2014 handbook and it is commentary 210.8 7 this does also conflict with the GFI for dishwasher code

Receptacles installed for disposals, dishwashers, and trash
compactors are not required to be protected by GFCIs. A
receptacle(s) installed behind a refrigerator is installed to supply
that appliance, not the countertop, and is not covered by this
GFCI requirement.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
the is taken from the 2014 handbook and it is commentary 210.8 7 this does also conflict with the GFI for dishwasher code

GFCI requirement.

IMO, the commentary is incorrect

In a residential kitchen GFCI's are only required for the counter top receptacles.
I disagree. Look at the 2011

(7) Sinks — located in areas other than kitchens where
receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside
edge of the sink

Same section in the 2014- notice the exception for kitchens is gone

(7) Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m
(6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

GFCI requirement.
I agree with Denis...that comment is not correct. It was not updated to match the new requirements of the 2014 NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.