Readily Accesible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: Readily Accesible?

Inconvenient maybe, but not readily accessible? I don't think so. I have had it happen when door swing is reversed after I install switch.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

I did a custom where the homeowner demanded that all switches were to be behind the doors.She didn`t like to look at them.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Does installing a switch behind the swing of a door render it not readily accessible?
No I do not believe it does, A service disconnect can be behind a locked door even though 230.71(A)(1) requires it to be readily accessible location.

I am curious, you must be asking about a switch for a motor or something as light switches are not required to be readily accessible. :confused:

bphgravity

Originally posted by iwire:
I am curious, you must be asking about a switch for a motor or something as light switches are not required to be readily accessible. :confused:
No specific application, just interested in 404.8 interpretation. Please explain. :confused:

sandsnow

I would say it does not violate the definition of Readily Accessible in Art. 100
A door would not be an obstacle. You can still quickly get to the switch. It's not like you have to move a pile of boxes.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Bryan:

"Accessible, Readily" is defined in Article 100. I don't think a door would prevent a switch from being quickly reached. It doesn't require anyone to climb over or remove obstacles, or get a ladder.

Does a light switch (just for example) even have to be readily accessible? I think the phrase

Code:
 those to whom ready access is requisite
becomes important here. Unless the switch is required by some other portion of the code (210.70 for example), I don't think anyone needs to have ready access to a light switch.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.