Range Question

Jimmy7

Occupation
Electrician
I was going through past projects and was filing receipts. On this particular job I changed the service and wired an addition in a single family home. The range was on a 50 amp breaker wired with a 4-wire on a 50 amp circuit, the range cord was a 3 wire. I sent my helper to the supplier to buy a 4 wire range cord and receptacle. I had him install the 4 wire cord and receptacle once he returned while I worked on something else. Looking at the receipts it appears he bought a 50 amp receptacle and a 40 amp range cord. Do I need to go back and change out this cord? I should have checked it, he’s usually on top of his game.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was going through past projects and was filing receipts. On this particular job I changed the service and wired an addition in a single family home. The range was on a 50 amp breaker wired with a 4-wire on a 50 amp circuit, the range cord was a 3 wire. I sent my helper to the supplier to buy a 4 wire range cord and receptacle. I had him install the 4 wire cord and receptacle once he returned while I worked on something else. Looking at the receipts it appears he bought a 50 amp receptacle and a 40 amp range cord. Do I need to go back and change out this cord? I should have checked it, he’s usually on top of his game.

I would say you need to change it.

(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit.
A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.