Raceway Transition

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I have 10/3 MC fished over ceiling, I want to transition to 3/4 EMT going down surface mount box for a receptacle. Bridgeport make a transition coupling. Stripping the MC and straight into EMT, The MC has a plastic sleeve with marking, The conductors have no markings, I thought that was against code, If I end up running the MC to a J-box then to LFMC to a LTMC to EMT transition coupling ( I have these parts already ) this will be under attic floor with a marked access panel for J box, Are access panels allowed for J box?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm pretty sure the MC will fit in the 3/4 EMT so just run it in the pipe to the box. The EMT will simply be a sleeve

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential Electrician
Typically we run flex with from-tos. I believe if it's a straight connector it can be concealed, otherwise it needs to be accessible - not sure what MC says. You can always just run flex and pull wire through it, for a one-off the cost difference can't be that much.

I have not seen MC run inside EMT and I'm curious as to how that's going to connect to the box with the EMT already connected to the box, maybe I'm misreading the above...

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Typically we run flex with from-tos. I believe if it's a straight connector it can be concealed, otherwise it needs to be accessible - not sure what MC says. You can always just run flex and pull wire through it, for a one-off the cost difference can't be that much.

I have not seen MC run inside EMT and I'm curious as to how that's going to connect to the box with the EMT already connected to the box, maybe I'm misreading the above...
I am stripping the MC, I read somewhere the MC has no marking THHN etc, its like NM no markings on the wires,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I am stripping the MC, I read somewhere the MC has no marking THHN etc, its like NM no markings on the wires,
Did you actually check the conductors within the MC cable. Some manufacturer's actually do mark them. I would still do it marking or not.

MC Cable Lettering.JPG

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If the MC sheath was bonded at the other end there would be no reason to worry about an MC connector at this end, it is just a cable assembly inside a raceway sleeve.
Change the MC to NM, would you worry about a connector on the NM inside a sleeve?

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I am not doing a sleeve, MC outer casing would be stripped out, then a straight transition MC to EMT connector, If I ended up using a J box on top with LFMC going from EMT to J box.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Found this in another thread, the conductors within the MC cable need to be marked as a type listed in table 310.104(A). Some MC cables do have marking on individual conductors and they would be acceptable, some cables have no marking on individual conductors and technically are not recognized for any use other then within the cable they are a part of.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am not doing a sleeve, MC outer casing would be stripped out, then a straight transition MC to EMT connector, If I ended up using a J box on top with LFMC going from EMT to J box.
Suit yourself but if you're going to put a jbox at the transition just change over to THWN there.