Occupation
Electrician
These were quiet.

generic-thermostat.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Seriously people get nuts about a T-stat that makes a click but the refrigerator can make the noise all day long without a complaint...:happyno:

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I found some models for electric heat that were 'silent', but none for LV or heat pump.

The only choice for a silent 24 volt T-stat may be to resurrect an old Honeywell merc bulb type.

Besides the mercury thing, there will be a significant increase in heating/cooling fuel use when going back to a bulb type thermostat.

J.P.

I have never even considered the noise a thermostat may make. The blower noise or unbalanced vents whistling...........now that is noisy.

just the cowboy

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Is the complaint the thermostat?

Is the complaint the thermostat?

Is he complaining about the little click that may beheard (not by me too many years in industry) from the thermostat? Or is it theloud clack of the relay that turns on the heat pump. A Mercury relay is silentand carries a large load and is available or a solid state relay.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Is he complaining about the little click that may beheard (not by me too many years in industry) from the thermostat? Or is it theloud clack of the relay that turns on the heat pump. A Mercury relay is silentand carries a large load and is available or a solid state relay.

I doubt you will find a mercury t-stat available for residential use.

Here is why you may not find a solid state relay, also. Note the last line. From Wiki:

• When closed, higher resistance (generating heat), and increased electrical noise
    • When open, lower resistance, and reverse leakage current (typically µA range)
    • Voltage/current characteristic is not linear (not purely resistive), distorting switched waveforms to some extent. An electromechanical relay has the low ohmic (linear) resistance of the associated mechanical switch when activated, and the exceedingly high resistance of the air gap and insulating materials when open.
    • Some types have polarity-sensitive output circuits. Electromechanical relays are not affected by polarity.
  • Possibility of spurious switching due to voltage transients (due to much faster switching than mechanical relay)
  • Isolated bias supply required for gate charge circuit
  • Higher transient reverse recovery time (Trr) due to the presence of the body diode
  • Tendency to fail "shorted" on their outputs, while electromechanical relay contacts tend to fail "open".

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Kidspeak:
"Mommmeeeeee, that thing on the wall makes a clicking sound that bothers me so I can't sleep... :cry:"

Translation:
"Mommy, you ignore me all day and then put me to bed, so I feel neglected and I'm looking for a way to get your attention over something I think will make you notice meeeeee..." :weeping:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you listen very carefully and the current is high enough you can even hear the tick of the spark when making or breaking the contact in a mercury bulb thermostat.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Kidspeak:
"Mommmeeeeee, that thing on the wall makes a clicking sound that bothers me so I can't sleep... :cry:"

Translation:
"Mommy, you ignore me all day and then put me to bed, so I feel neglected and I'm looking for a way to get your attention over something I think will make you notice meeeeee..." :weeping:
I had similar thoughts. Kids working there parents over.

When you screw the t-stat to the wall, put o-rings between the wall and the t-stat. Then the little click is not amplified by the wall. I cut little squares of thin foam for stuff like this.

mgookin

Seriously people get nuts about a T-stat that makes a click but the refrigerator can make the noise all day long without a complaint...:happyno:

You never notice the fridge until it shuts off.

I've always understood that a relay goes click and a contactor goes clunk.

What's a clack? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.