Questions for GC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

traderx

Hello all, I will be meeting with some GC's in my area that I would like to bid/work for. I have set up an interview with them so I can ask questions and referrals, but would like to hear from you all what are some OTHER questions that I SHOULD/MUST ask.

Basically, I am interviewing with them to see if I want to work with them in the future or not, very much the same way as if I was being interviewed for a job. Thought I would flip it around.

Thanks to all that reply
Coll

chrsb

Re: Questions for GC's

I would ask what there pay terms are, 30,60 or when they get paid. I would ask for refrences, or give them a qualification form to fill out. I have worked for 2 contractors that went under during a job, one was from money laundering, the other poor managment. When they go under in can take years to get paid.

jeff43222

Money is the big one. When I work for a GC, I set the terms of payment in the contract I write (with my lawyer's help). If the GC doesn't like my terms, he's free to find another EC.

Otherwise, it's hard to tell if a GC is worth working for until you take the plunge. I'm in the middle of a kitchen remodel under a GC right now, and it's going very well. He even pays me according to my contract terms without me having to remind him he owes me money.

I think instead of interviewing GCs and asking theoretical questions about hypothetical future jobs, it might make more sense to talk to GCs when they have an actual job they want you to bid on. When you talk about the job, you'll have an idea what you're getting yourself into and whether it will work for you. Sure, there might be some surprises once you actually start doing the work, but that's why you have your lawyer help you write a good contract to protect your interests.

tshea

Find out what other ECs haev worked from the GC. If you are on a good relationship ask them about the payments.
Do the same for Pluming or HVAC contractors if you don't want to tip your hand with an EC.

Also find out from others HOW the GC runs the job. Does the GC get behind and blame the subs and then force you to do 20 days work in 14? Does the GC "try to engineer" the job or is the job based on an approved engineered drawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.